+1

1997 sea doo gs starting problem

hello Sea doo experts
    on 1997 sea doo gs 787 super clean, the mpem has been replaced after spark loss, a new aftermarket has been installed, ran fine and always started right up every times for about a month and suddenly stopped cranking over, I mean, kill switch on, when the start stop button is pressed, the engine will turn over but sometimes starter just kick for half second then release, press again and does the same thing, kick for half second then release, and sometimes it crank over enough to start ,the engine run fine all day if engine is not stopped. if engine stopped by button or killer switch removed it won't start again most of the time, I would say it crank and start one time every 20 times the button is pressed.
    I then checked all connections all clean corrosion free, tried a new battery, new starter relay, still the same.
    a voltmeter installed on the wire that energize starter relay confirm that mpem only power the relay for half a second then stop sending power so I figures it is a defective mpem, so I went to one of my local supplier to get another mpem, we tried together 5 or 6 of em with the same result: sometimes start and run for a couple of times then again , half a second starter engaging and releasing , that's all.
    when the very first mpem is installed (owner kept the old one), the starter crank over strong as long as you keep pressing button but off course does not start as there is no spark.
    also if one of the defective no start mpem stay connected, the oil light stay on all the time and the battery is drained out overnight.
    so for me we are playing with defective new aftermarket parts but not sure 100%, what do you guys think?
    thanks for the help

+1
    I would chance putting a new starter on it... I'd say you have worn out a starter... Also there is a chance that your start button is faulty... MPEM problems usually aren't intermittent, they come and stay.

Do you get 2 beeps when you put the DESS key on?

+1
    update : tried to connect the scan tool on the ski this morning with no success, the tool "can't find vehicle", tried several times with no success, and I know my tool works, I tried on another ski and vehicle have been found within seconds.
    that makes me think that I am playing with all bad aftermarket mpems.
    no beep at all, never.
    I don't think It is the starter as it cranks up very fast and strong when I bridge the 2 terminals of the starter relay with a screwdriver, mpem disconnected not to create any short in the mpem and also cranks up fast and strong with the "no spark mpem"

Definitely not the starter.
    I'm going with ALL MPEMs are good.
    My guess...DESS post is old. Do you have one to toss in?

+1
    yes I tried another one,a used one that I have and always use for testing, still the same, no difference.
    got it started today twice without doing anything , just pressing the start stop button with one of the Brazilian mpem that the supplier lended me then nothing again.
    need to check if there is any signal coming off of the mpem and going to the buzzer, just don't know how to test it.

Thread Information