2002 GTX 4Tec - Won't start - Check engine code P1656

I've done a few searches but couldn't find anything that really helps me and being new to waverunners, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to help me out. I have a 2002 GTX 4Tec that had a cluster failure. The ski sat for a little and then I replaced the cluster. Now I'm getting 2 beeps when I put the key in but also a "MAINT" and "CHECK ENGINE" on the info center. When I hit set 5 times I get the code p1656. I've read some about replacing the DESS post but before I did that I wanted to see what else people thought I could try. Should the ski start with this code?

On a side note, how do I reset the MAINT diagnostic and where is everyone buying parts? The local dealer seems pricey and I need a steering cable.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH....

look at the inside of your key, the metal bits might be twisted and that can keep the ski from reading the key number. Are the two beeps short(key ok) or long(uh oh)?

You need a code reader, like the Candoo to reset service messagesand read codes. Handy for clusters and test firing coils and injectors too.

You can see at what rpms your engine was run at for how long with the candoo..pretty handy buyers tool.

as for parts..well you're here! Use the banner links at the top of the page for competitive prices

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Welcome to GH....

look at the inside of your key, the metal bits might be twisted and that can keep the ski from reading the key number. Are the two beeps short(key ok) or long(uh oh)?

You need a code reader, like the Candoo to reset service messagesand read codes. Handy for clusters and test firing coils and injectors too.

You can see at what rpms your engine was run at for how long with the candoo..pretty handy buyers tool.

as for parts..well you're here! Use the banner links at the top of the page for competitive prices
    Sorry I should have mentioned, the beeps are short. I have both the learning key and the regular key and neither work so I'm thinking it's related to something else.

That's really the only way to reset the maintenance light? I just changed the oil/plugs and was hoping to not have that thing bothering me. I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer after all.

Anyone else?

+1
    Search is your friend, I had the same issue:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ighlight=p1656

I just noticed you said you have the same issue with both keys, maybe it's not the same problem I had.
    Last edited by tpd; 08-25-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information