Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Outside storage

Outside storage

I lost my extra storage garage this week and had to bring my old car home. I can't let it sit outside..so I had to move our seadoo's outside. Now they both have covers but we have all seen what the sun/weather can do to a finish and a new cover rather quickly. I was wondering if anyone has built our made any type of temp. shelter to just block the sun..here in a another month or so they will be going into winter storage but I may have the same issue when they come out..

+1
    You could actually just throw a $3 7x4 harbor freight tarp over them and it will protect the cover. Don't really see a need for a lean-to just to protect from sun.

+1
    Do you have a pop-up canopy? Maybe you can at least provide temporary shade with it until you store them for winter.

I have a pop-up canopy..but not quite big enough..and the cheap tarps seem to wear, plus hold a ton of heat and here in Ohio Summer has finally arrived..90's for the next couple of weeks and I know under those tarps get mighty hot unless you can let some air flow thru as well..

Banned User
    +1
    I put the factory covers on mine and then use bungee cords to strap a tarp over the whole thing. The breeze still blows under the tarp. Since the covers are never completely waterproof, it keeps the skis dry too. I have been doing this for years now. Get a big enough tarp to cover both skis with the same tarp on the double trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by ashnic View Post
    I have a pop-up canopy..but not quite big enough..and the cheap tarps seem to wear, plus hold a ton of heat and here in Ohio Summer has finally arrived..90's for the next couple of weeks and I know under those tarps get mighty hot unless you can let some air flow thru as well..
    Make sure you're well ventilated if you cover them. And frequently multiple layers of coverage creates condensation. And mail some of that summer weather to us here in southeast NE. Been kinda cool here all season!

+1
    I use the Seadoo cover and a cheaper outside generic boat cover, just make sure you get the correct width. Not a 100% fit but they last a lot longer than tarps. I get ~2-3 years out of them here in FL. Tarps fall apart quickly and nowadays cost about the same for a good quality version, the blue ones disintegrate in the sun in ~ 5 month, the silver tarps last ~ 1 year.

I used the 'Hurricane' style now for 4 years and they are working well. The original cover is preserved as it's not exposed to the sun and ensures ventilation. The outer one gets all the environment exposure. Adds some theft protection as well, doesn't look expensive and for your size you pay ~ $50-60.

Example:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._507940_507940
    Measure the width across the handlebars, the length is sufficient for any watercraft. (14-16 ft)
    You can find these or similar versions on Amazon etc.
    Last edited by jkflow; 08-21-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: update

+1
    Where do you live? You store a nice ski in FL you also need a construction rated chain, mega lock to go through the trailer, couple pit bulls and a shotgun

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    Where do you live? You store a nice ski in FL you also need a construction rated chain, mega lock to go through the trailer, couple pit bulls and a shotgun
    Is it that bad in florida?

+1
    I would shrink wrap it if I was to leave it outside and then put a tarp over it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information