Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 speedster 150 engine question

I have a 05 speedster thats having some issues right now. The way my friend described , was the ski will start up just fine and run just fine. But once he shuts the motor off it wont restart. The plugs get wet and the engine refuse to turn over. The only way to get it to start, is if If the plugs get removed, and cleaned off. Once that happens, itll start right back up again immediately, and drive just fine.

I have a few ideas and have not looked at the ski yet, but was wanting to find a few things i should check. Ski came back from Riva 3 months ago and was checked out perfectly.

I appreciate any suggestions.

+1
    Find out what this thing really is... they didn't make a 150... might be a 155 or a 130, but based on the unrecognized "150" it could be anything. Speedster is a boat, but you are calling it a "ski" which is it? LOL It could be SCIC and have a leaking intercooler which is what it sounds like, or it could have a bad head gasket, or it could be a bad exhaust manifold... but for sure there is not enough information in your post for someone to make an intelligent guess... What i do know is that if you continue to run it this way you are going to destroy the motor... it's a hydrolock just about to happen. Also, if there is water in the cylinders there is water in the oil, water in the oil is bad...

+1
    speedster 150=15 foot boat.
    i think it has a 215HP... .

+1
    Ahh... leaky intercooler is the #1 suspect. Pressure test the interecooler.

+1
    It's going to be the intercooler (215hp) or the exhaust manifold. It's about a 50/50 on witch one it is. I have had both a few times on different things. Most of the time for me if it was a leaking intercooler it just run poor but would alway restart. On the exhaust manifold didn't notice to much lost on performance but most of the time would not restart.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Are there o ring or seals that go bad or something specific I should look for on the manifold. Or will a standard exhaust gasket fix this issue (if its the problem)...

Ill test the inter-cooler as well.

Sorry for referring to it as a ski..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Thanks for the replys guys.

Are there o ring or seals that go bad or something specific I should look for on the manifold. Or will a standard exhaust gasket fix this issue (if its the problem)...

Ill test the inter-cooler as well.

Sorry for referring to it as a ski..
    No gasket on the manifold. The casting just gets eaten up. It will be close to the Jpipe were the casting brakes down. You can check it with out taking it off. There is 3 water jacket on it 3/4 in front and the two 1/2" at the other end. Block of two of them and just blow in the other one. If it's bad you will be able to blow air in.

Ahh fantastic. I know exactly what you speak of. I will test the BOAT very soon and will post the results as soon as i Know. Thanks for the info, ill try and take photos of anything I have questions on.

My friend tells me it drives just fine and runs beautifully, but wont restart... I assume the entire manifold would need to be replaced.?

You wouldn't happen to have the manual to this sk-boat by chance?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Ahh fantastic. I know exactly what you speak of. I will test the BOAT very soon and will post the results as soon as i Know. Thanks for the info, ill try and take photos of anything I have questions on.

My friend tells me it drives just fine and runs beautifully, but wont restart... I assume the entire manifold would need to be replaced.?

You wouldn't happen to have the manual to this sk-boat by chance?
    Yes if the manifold is leaking you will have to buy a new one. Any year will work they are all the same. The 08 and new has a better casting.

Thank you, im going to look at the boat in a few.

Ill be doing my usual inspections on the motor, controls, electrical connections and what not, but is there anything specific to this boat that I should look for , special things i wouldn't normally see on a good once over. Thank you, appreciate the help so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information