2001 polaris genesis 1200cc fuel injected wont rev pas 4800 rpms and 35 mph

Hey guys my ski wont rev past 4800 rpms and 35 mph in water, when its on the trailer it will rev to about 7000, as its accelerating there is a sweet spot where it will catch with the throttle only pushed in about two inches, it has moderately fast acceleration but will stop accelerating around 4800 rpms and 35 mph from there if i give it full throttle the engine sounds like it used to when at full throttle but it just doesn't have any more power, full pressure is good and it doesn't have any check engine lights, i finally got a polaris dealer to do a 2 hour diagnosis and they found a rope in the jet pump and it has pretty low compression around 100 in each, they removed the rope but my field test had the same result max 35 mph, im thinking now it may be the EMM, i have a 2000 polaris genesis parts jetski that has an extra EMM can i swap them or are they specific to each jetski? Could the low compression be the problem? thanks

Well I know this is my first post but from learning what I have in the past week low compression will result in limited rpm and speed I just took my 2002 Polaris geniuses I out of the water for the same symptoms and did a compression test on all 3 cylinders( the mag had 135, cen had 120, and pto 0 I pulled the head to find the piston has melted. I'm still trying to figure out why but I think its when my aunt took it out the cooling hose for the eem came off and flooded the hull I think some water got in to the intake and caused the damage so I'm about to pull the engine and to a complete top end rebuild I plan on pulling it out tomorrow.I get my kit Thursday.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bloberg19 View Post
    Well I know this is my first post but from learning what I have in the past week low compression will result in limited rpm and speed I just took my 2002 Polaris Genesis i out of the water for the same symptoms and did a compression test on all 3 cylinders( the mag had 135, cen had 120, and pto 0 I pulled the head to find the piston has melted.

I'm still trying to figure out why but I think its when my aunt took it out the cooling hose for the eem came off and flooded the hull I think some water got in to the intake and caused the damage so I'm about to pull the engine and to a complete top end rebuild I plan on pulling it out tomorrow.I get my kit Thursday.
    Welcome

My guess is the fuel pressure regulator inside the fuel pump has fallen off. Low fuel pressure will cause the pistons to get hotter than normal (lean burn).

In fact, even if the problem cause is elsewhere it is now considered mandatory (by myself and others) to reinforce the mounting for the Ficht fuel pressure regulator. The factory mounting is weak and will eventually fail, risking engine damage from low fuel pressure.

The middle cylinder has low enough compression that it should also be inspected. Probably both CEN and PTO pistons need replacement and perhaps the cylinders need to be bored to one notch oversize.

Which EMM cooling hose came off, the water feed or the water exit hose? If water feed hose came off then the EMM may have overheated, which is another thing that may need repair.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by J4ke1990 View Post
    Hey guys my ski wont rev past 4800 rpms and 35 mph in water, when its on the trailer it will rev to about 7000, as its accelerating there is a sweet spot where it will catch with the throttle only pushed in about two inches, it has moderately fast acceleration but will stop accelerating around 4800 rpms and 35 mph from there if i give it full throttle the engine sounds like it used to when at full throttle but it just doesn't have any more power, full pressure is good and it doesn't have any check engine lights,

i finally got a polaris dealer to do a 2 hour diagnosis and they found a rope in the jet pump and it has pretty low compression around 100 in each, they removed the rope but my field test had the same result max 35 mph,

I'm thinking now it may be the EMM, i have a 2000 polaris genesis parts jetski that has an extra EMM can i swap them or are they specific to each jetski?

Could the low compression be the problem? thanks
    Lots of possibilities to check.

Low but even compression across all cylinders is OK but not great. Fuel pressure was checked and is good, correct?

My first move would be to swap in the TPS from the parts machine. Make sure the little plastic nib is in place on the TPS arm. If the symptoms do not change then the next move would be to try the EMM from the parts machine. It is preferred that you also swap over the fuel injectors that match the EMM.

Mark each fuel injector with the cylinder it came from and the EMM it is matched with. Do not get the fuel injectors mixed up. Injectors must be installed with even bolt torque and aligned to the cylinder head bore.

Make sure you have the correct NGK PZFR6H spark plugs installed.

The exit hose on the eem. I plan on rebuilding the whole top end. I did find the regulator had come off I did tap it for a threaded bard and jb welded it to ensure that's there wasn't any leaks did a presser test and am at 22psi

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bloberg19 View Post
    The exit hose on the eem. I plan on rebuilding the whole top end. I did find the regulator had come off I did tap it for a threaded bard and jb welded it to ensure that's there wasn't any leaks did a presser test and am at 22psi
    Good to hear the fuel pressure regulator has been reinforced.

Check the Fuel Injector voltage on White/Red wires. Do not unplug any injectors, find another place to tap into White/Red wires. Black meter probe to engine ground. Should have right near 45 volts when engine is running and stable as RPM varies. This is best tested on the water as revving on land does not fully exercise the EMM. Not so easy to do, of course.

Well I pulled the engine today pulled the pistons out and all 3 are being bored .50 mm over by my grand father they will be done tomorrow. I should have my new pistons by Thursday and back on the water Monday the 1st thanks k477 I will check for proper voltage on the water

Thread Information