04 seadoo rfi 3d surging at low range and wot

ive got a 04 rfi 3d that surges taking off and at wot. mid range it runs great. the rear spark plug is running fatter than the front. ive changed computer, stator, coil and im still having the same issue any thought?

+1
    Fuel injector maybe ??

Make sure the contacts to the injectors are good but maybe one is a bit blocked - I know they were replaced on my 3D prior to me getting it with fairly low hours so there was def a problem there on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by LVC View Post
    Fuel injector maybe ??

Make sure the contacts to the injectors are good but maybe one is a bit blocked - I know they were replaced on my 3D prior to me getting it with fairly low hours so there was def a problem there on mine.

i swapped injectors with a bike that was running great. this thing has got me stumped. ive got the same voltage at both injectors. i just don't know

+1
    Sounds to me like a fuel issue - checked filter, fuel flow OK, pipework good, no air leaks, ?????

+1
    Check voltage while running, could be a faulty rectifier allowing an overvoltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Check voltage while running, could be a faulty rectifier allowing an overvoltage.
    its got a new rectifier in it. i think it pushing 13-13.5 volts. i put a fuel pump in it and still have the same issue which doesn't mean that fuel pump was any good. the only thing that i havent replaced was the wiring harness but i dont think that is the issue. but i could be wrong

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc8ndljqnv...55.55.jpg?dl=0

If you live in a cold climate I would check the exhaust.
    The picture is from my brothers 2004 3D

2004 3D 787 RFI SURGE'S AT FULL THROTTLE

Here is something to always consider when diagnosing running issues. The exhaust system. If there is exhaust blockage or excessive cooling water entering the exhaust system, it can definitely cause running issues. In this case, a problem such as this could cause an engine to run fine until the airflow out could not keep up with the airflow in.

The 3D has a unique and complex exhaust system. Any one of the pipes, tubes, hoses, or chambers could cause blockage or leakage internally or externally.

1. The extension pipe that connects the tuned pipe to the muffler is water cooled. If water were left in the pipe and froze during storage season, it can crush the internal pipe reducing it's size therefore ability to flow air (exhaust).

2. Any rubber hose, if starved of cooling water can burn or blister causing an internal separation of rubber layers which can then "balloon" inside while under pressure and cause an internal blockage at speed.

3. Cracked or broken resonators allowing exhaust gases to escape into the hull can cause "pollution" of the fresh air the engine needs for proper combustion.

4. Cracks or breakage of cooling jackets can cause excessive amounts of cooling water to enter the exhaust stream effectively causing a reduction of exhaust flow.

A visual inspection would require each component to be removed and inspected, but on a 3D that's not so easy. It might be best to test the theory first, and that's what we have done in the past. To test for any of these conditions, sometimes it is necessary to fabricate a "makeshift" exhaust pipe, or tube and attach it to the end of the tuned pipe. (In the automotive industry several years ago it was common to install a "test" pipe to verify catalytic converter blockage in a similar fashion.) If by installing a test pipe the running issue disappears you can then dismantle the entire exhaust system and visually inspect each component to pinpoint the problem. We have seen all of the above conditions in the past. Consider them all and begin your step by step elimination of what is good, to determine what is bad.

Check out the 3D extension pipe that froze from improper storage. There is no visible damage on the outside, but after cutting it open, we found a "crushed" exhaust pipe which restricted the flow. This engine could not run full RPM.
    Last edited by skidoox; 09-10-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: More information

thank you guys it was the exhaust. it was crushed bout half way through. the only shitty part is they dont make them anymore

Thread Information