92 SL650 water in cylinders

Just bough the ski today non running. Not much info given from the owner. I pulled all 3 plugs and there is the white milky substance in them. Obviously its water and oil, but I need some guidance on if there is a common seal that goes out and causes this or if there is some direction you may push me towards to look for. Probably going to just do a full teardown of the cylinders and replace the seals but if its something more than that I would like a heads up. Gotta get it running and go have some fun!!!

BTW: I am going to redo the fuel system, carbs and fuel pump as I have done some research and don't want to spend more time fixing then riding.

i had the same thing, mine turned out to be because it hadn't run in a while there was some condinsation or it rained with the plugs out and cover open etc, i cleaned it out as best i could and fired it up and it went away with a couple minutes of running .. may not be the best idea but i got lucky.. could be the same thing with yours

How did you clean it out?

So this got me thinking last night. The ski wasn't towed, no hose hooked up to it, what would cause water to get into each cylinder? I'm thinking it would have to be an exhaust gasket. No other gasket makes sense on how it could get into each cylinder since they are all seperate but share the crankcase where the fuel is brought in through the intake. Am I correct? And other ideas?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Townsend View Post
    So this got me thinking last night. The ski wasn't towed, no hose hooked up to it, what would cause water to get into each cylinder?

I'm thinking it would have to be an exhaust gasket. No other gasket makes sense on how it could get into each cylinder since they are all seperate but share the crankcase where the fuel is brought in through the intake. Am I correct?

Any other ideas?
    If the hull was flipped upside down in the water, when it is rolled right side up there is a right way and a wrong way to roll it back over.

Righting the ski by rolling it in the wrong direction can allow water from inside the exhaust pipe to flow backwards into the cylinders through the open exhaust ports. That is why there is a sticker on the rear of the hull indicating which way the hull should be rotated if it is floating inverted in the water.

Well its over. Its got a cracked block. Now it all makes sense. Thanks for the help guys!

Thread Information