Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seadoo Xp Limited Dropping One Cylinder Randomly

Hi All,

I've got an XP Limited (2000 Model) that randomly drops to one cylinder, but only when running either flat out for a 5 minutes or just free styling around in circles etc for 5 minutes flat out.

I can let it sit for an hour or two and it will come good.

When it happens it just idles on one cylinder and any attempt to go faster just makes it stall.

I can restart it and it will run all day at idle.

When I take it home and flush it, all sounds good, and when I take it out again it run great until it happens again.

I'm thinking it must be something electrical that fails under load for a few minutes and when it cools down etc it works again.

I don't thing it's mechanical or a carb as it can run good for hours at 3/4 throttle with short bursts at full throttle.

Could it be a CDI failing under load? I've changed plugs already and also trimmed the leads at the plug end.

Thanks for any advice as I'm so confused...

+1
    Your model has two ignition coils inside the black box on the inside of the engine compartment, they are both earthed by the bracket that holds them on .Have a look and see if you have any rusting of the brackets and or black earth leads in side there.

Thanks will have a look at that in the morning. Can a faulty coil behave like this?

+1
    do a compression test and take out the raves and inspect the sides of the pistons-- the rear piston will most likely have vertical marks from a seizure-- compression will also be down on the rear from 10-90 psi.

Ok, I've done a compression test and it's all good at 140psi each pot, I've taken the rave out and tried to take some photos of the cylinder. Looks ok from this end, but I'm no expert

I also noticed that the rear cylinder spark plug was dry and the front one wet, this could be due to it running on one cylinder?

I also checked out the electrical box and there is no rust on any bolts or brackets, looks like new in there.

Here are some pics,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front 1_resize.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	339775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front2_resize.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	339776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear1_resize.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	339777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear2_resize.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	339778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear3_resize.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	339779

+1
    Sometimes water in the fuel can do this and it will stick to the plug electrode and hence wont fire.Is the Hull dry and the drive shaft guard on to stop the pto from flicking up water everywhere
    Does your pisser going overboard have a steady strong flow with no interruption when its under load ?
    Any stopping and starting with air in the stream is usually a head gasket that has failed.
    If it is mechanical problem it would do it all the time

Checked all of the above and everything is ok, the pisser is steady and good flow at high speed, basically it runs fine then all of a sudden with lose power, not warning etc. It has done this the last half a dozen times I have taken it out. Every time I do take it out it runs with full power and speed until it happens again. On the ride back to the ramp the last time, I sat there on the sand for 15 minutes then decided to idle back, giving it a few squirts on throttle as I went to try and revive it, after 15 minutes the power was slowly coming back until I could eventually get on up on a plane, I could keep on a plan for 10-15 minutes until I got back to the ramp but couldn't get any more speed out of it, still sounded like it was running on one cylinder though. When I got back home and put it on the hose it sounded like it was all good again. Still not sure if it's mechanical or electrical. so confused... I just jumped on ebay and purchased a spark plug tester light, I'll take it with me and when it does it again I'll see if I can use it to test if there is spark in both cylinders....any other ideas I could try?

+1
    try a different mpem.

I dont have a spare mpem laying around, but I'm thinking of buying an electrical box complete with coils for $130 delivered to try out. I think it is electrical because i took it for another run today and it worked great, i didn't open it up for too long as i was by myself and didn't have anyone to tow me back. But i gave it short 20 second squirts and it was perfect. So still lost as to what it could be. But i know it happens after running it under load for a few minutes, something must crap out and come good after it cools down and it gets back home on the trailer.

+1
    Coil has crapped itself, even though it may measure up to test specs. Only way to test a coil is put it under load from a coil load tester.
    You can bench test coils but from a good auto electrician that usually services fuel injection equipment

You hook the coil up to a millisecond pulse generator and you can gradually increase rpms from 1- 15000rpms.
    The coil starts firing and then the gap where the spark is jumping is increased to over 1 inch.
    The coil should generate a bright blue spark that is clean and cylindrical.
    If the coil is faulty this will show it up at any revolution due to the huge spark it has to generate.
    It only takes 2 minutes to test and my guy (fuel injection service centre) doesn't charge as it so quick.
    I found this on Y/tube very quickly but its for a car but its the same principal (starts about at the 16 min mark)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information