Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Snapper or anyone else, too much oil fix?

I decided to start a new thread since the other one was heading in the wrong direction.

Let's say your dealer put in too much oil. What would be the correct procedure to remove the excess from the air system?

I already pumped out the excess.
    I will leave the intercooler draining on its end for 24 hours.
    I plan on washing it out with water and a mild detergent.
    I plan on washing the hoses also.
    It looks like the input on the supercharger is the lowest point. Would pulling the input hose and leaning the craft forward be enough?
    Should the catch can be emptied?

Here's a pic. One quart too much in the pan, drained about a cup out of the intercooler and the hoses are saturated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010318.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	20876  

Wow, I pulled 2 quarts out of my engine to get the oil level to be more inline with just below the COOL HIGH mark. I may very well have to drain the intercooler as well. Did you have a hard time pulling getting it out?

How many hours on your ski?
    Last edited by cue03; 04-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.

5 hours on the ski.

It's fairly easy, took me less than 30 minutes. Everything is almost as it looks. Unbolt the catch can and disconnect all the intercooler hoses. Undo the two bolts at the bottom and it slides out of it's bracket. The 3rd water line at the bottom closest to the engine and the sensor at the back are easier to remove once you get the intercooler loose from its bracket.

Thanks for the tip. Does your catch can have allot of oil in it? Which hoses are you removing to clean the oil out of?

I have 6 hours on my ski so I am guessing I will be in the same spot as you with the amount of oil in the intercooler.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1

Hmmmmmmm.....

Maybe we will see some faster skis now, I checked my intercooler, no oil in it, its been fine the whole time.Maybe thats why I started with a faster ski?

OK. Just got done doing mine.

6 Hours on ski
    OIL LEVEL HIGH (original factory oil)
    withdrew 2 Quarts
    OIL LEVEL now just beneath COOL FULL mark (according to manual)
    pulled intercooler.... clean as a whistle. Only thing in my intercooler was less than 1/4 cup of WATER. Hoses clean etc. No oily residue found in any of the hoses that I can tell. Will leave intercooler turned over until morning to see if anything else comes out.

Now time for bed....will put it back together in the morning. Can I use soapy water on the hoses to make them slide back on easier? Will that be ok?

Thanks.

Curtis

I know that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer here when it comes to the inner works of a jet ski. My question is if the dealer is putting to much oil in the engine and it is being collected in the inner cooler shouldn't they be responsible for removing and cleaning it under warrenty? Mine had about 1 1/2 quarts to much in it also.

I have never tried to pull one of these things so I sure do not want to get in there and screw something up.

Guys, after looking at my ski again last night and me having to pull the inner cooler just did not sit well so I stopped. I called my dealer this morning and spoke with the service manager and explained to him what is going on and he told me he would pull the inner cooler and clean it under warranty. Just for your information.

I got mine back together last night. I really didn't have to do much cleanup. After letting the parts drip for 24 hours, all that was left was a light sheen of oil.

The easiest way to tell if there is a problem is to pull the hose bewteen the throttle body and the intercooler. The oil catches on the lip of the throttle body where the hose goes over it.

+1
    After leveling it out and checking the oil again, mine was very slightly overfilled. Before doing anything else, I think I will pull the hose like the previous poster did to see if any oil made it that far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information