Bad DESS post or MPEM?

Hey guys. I posted this on another forum and haven't gotten a response so I thought I would try here..

Went to ride the ski a couple days ago (97 SPX 787) and as usual, I let it run for a few seconds before I shove it off my jet dock. It started as it always does but then after a few seconds, I noticed it started to idle down quickly. Then it just quit. I tried to restart and it wouldn't fire. I get two beeps when I put on the key and it will crank and crank but no start.

I charged the battery last night, threw it in today, still no start.

I tested the DESS post per the shop manual and I think I did It correctly. I got good readings with the exception the black/black&yellow post test. I could not get a reading when I tested those two together and the post unplugged as I thought I understood in the manual. Could this be a bad DESS post or is it still a possible bad MPEM? The rectifier is new, all fuses are good, and I recently installed a new buzzer. Obviously the battery is good as well. I unplugged and replugged all connectors in the ski thinking that maybe I just had a bad connection somewhere. Still nothing.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    fuel selector switch in the correct location? Is there gas in the tank? sediment bowl sealed to the cap? Sounds like a fueling issue to me.

Fuel switch is on but I didn't notice anything incorrect about the fuel bowl when I was in there testing the post I didn't really study it though. It's worth mentioning that when i replaced the fuel lines i did clean out the fuel bowl and filter. I did notice a fairly strong fuel odor when I opened the hood and lifted out the dry box. Not that it matters but it did seem to run flawlessly a few days before. Clocked it at 59mph via GPS. I guess a double check is in order.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it is a fuel supply issue... When I would load it onto the trailer, it always liked to die on me as I would try to drive it up the bunks. Now that I'm using a jet dock, it has died on me twice while driving it up that. When it's sitting on the jet dock, it does sit at a slight angle, nose high.. Also, it is lower on fuel than it has ever been since my ownership sitting at around a 1/4 tank (I usually keep it over half tank). I'm wondering if I fill it up if that will narrow down the problem.

+1
    See if you are getting spark. That should help you sort out fuel vs electrical

Well, Jim hit the nail on the head. It's definitely a fuel issue. I out about 2gal of fuel in and she fired right up. Even sitting nose high on the dock I could see a little fuel through the front of the tank. I'm not sure why it wasn't getting any though. Do the fuel senders tend to go bad and not read correctly?

Thread Information