MSX150 Electrical wire disconnected... Help identifying?

I was changing the oil filter on my 2nd MSX150, dropped a socket and while trying to retrieve, pulled an electrical wire from it's connection. Any help on what it is and how to fix it? It is just below the wastegate. Below is a pic... Any help would be appreciated!

Hobnobber

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140824_114123.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	339750  

So far I have found out that the connection is on the exhaust manifold. Does it have anything to do with the O2 sensor or the wastegate? Thank you for your help!

+1
    Single wire? Does it still have the connector on it... or did it break off of it?

That would be for the exhaust manifold thermal switch. It's on the rear side of the exhaust manifold in the same area as your picture. Roundy/dome shaped thread-in switch with single male connector part sticking out that the wire connector goes on.

Not related to the O2 or wastegate. Tells ECU when exhaust manifold gets too hot.

Cheers!

Ripcuda... you are the man! So your telling me that the ski will run but no warning if there is a heat issue. Is there an easy way to fix it?

Hobnobber

+1
    Yes... the exhaust manifold thermo switch just triggers when the manifold gets too hot (likely poor circulation of fresh water system). When it triggers it grounds the wire going to it, completing the circuit, which the ECU detects and triggers overheat check engine. Unplugged, the ECU thinks all is good and will run normally... but you no longer have any manifold overheat protection... so if it was getting too hot... bad things could happen and the ECU wouldn't try to protect you.

If the "sensor" (switch) is bad... i.e. triggering overheat when the manifold isn't too hot... then replace the switch. If the wire connector that plugs into it broke off, splice in a new connector.

FYI... there is another overheat temperature sensor (not a simple switch) for the coolant (closed loop engine cooling system) that is located on the coolant rail between the intake manifold runners. This tells ECU real-time coolant system temps. This needs to work and can't be unplugged without tripping an ECU error.

Cheers!

Thread Information