Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

one last question about the sl650's during WOT

when i had the machine out everything on it seemed awesome, i was only out for 15 minutes after i got it running after years of sitting and at WOT it seemed like it would get to max speed and rpm and then after holding it there for a few seconds it would start to slow down a bit, let off the throttle for a quick second and giver again and back to max, few seconds slow down.. i think i know its probably the carbs and fuel pump because hasn't been upgraded or rebuilt but i don't really want to do that because as it seems they will just be sold here in a bit

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vowels771 View Post
    when i had the machine out everything on it seemed awesome, i was only out for 15 minutes after i got it running after years of sitting and at WOT it seemed like it would get to max speed and rpm and then after holding it there for a few seconds it would start to slow down a bit, let off the throttle for a quick second and giver again and back to max, few seconds slow down..

i think i know its probably the carbs and fuel pump because hasn't been upgraded or rebuilt but i don't really want to do that because as it seems they will just be sold here in a bit
    You plan on selling the machine to the next guy?

Be sure to tell him about Greenhulk, and point him at the recommended maintenance info.

Riding the as is machine with the carbs not working properly runs a real risk of burning the engine down. It could already be part way to failure, you wouldn't know how close to the edge it is unless you look inside the cylinders at the pistons.

i did check the cylinders and the plugs and they looked good after the run (carbon on the piston, brown kinda color not wet on the plugs) and i don't want to give the next guy a lemon but i don't wanna spend another 250 each machine for carbs and pumps etc

so, is that a carb issue?

+1
    i did check the cylinders and the plugs and they looked good after the run (carbon on the piston, brown kinda color not wet on the plugs) ...
    Search for threads showing what the correct 'piston wash pattern' looks like for these engines.

The key is for the perimeter of the piston dome to have small clean areas about the size of a your small finger nail. These non-carbon zones show the actual metal color of the piston, indicating that the piston dome is running cool enough adjacent to the cylinder ports to not be carbonizing the fuel.

If the entire surface of the piston dome is black with carbon (no visible wash pattern around the edges) then the piston is running too hot and is at risk of lean burn.

+1
    Can not rely on checking plugs after coming in and idling to the dock. A motor that is running lean will have white plugs that turn brown and wet when idling. The only way to check the plugs is killing the engine at WOT.

oddly enough after half hour or so of runnin around on the lake at first every so often it would just stall out and then it would restart right away, that happened for 5 10 minutes, then it seemed like it flooded out at WOT for 5 or 10 minutes then it was all good the rest of the day however i did realize that the first sl650 that i was using has like NO bottom end power, like takes 3,4x longer to get onto plane but compression numbers on both machines are pretty close 8psi max difference on one cylinder

+1
    So have you looked at the piston wash or done any plug chops? The ski will hesitate both on the low end and top end if it is running lean. It may even surge up and down on the top end if extremely lean.....

not as of yet on the "slow" machine i never really thought there was an issue until i rode the other one and it was a hell of a lot faster out of the hole, summer is over here in kamloops so maybe if there is another nice day i can try doing those, thanks

+1
    ... summer is over here in kamloops so maybe if there is another nice day i can try doing those, thanks
    Testing can be done in cool weather. Just dress for it and plan accordingly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information