2002 sea doo gtx dl taking on water

2002 sea doo gtx dl 2 stroke - taking on water -
    as soon as I launch it I can open the back seat up and see a subtle but steady flow of water coming in from what looks to be the stern. anyone ever have such a leak? I know there is no damage, or holes etc ski is garage kept and mint condition other than the recent leak

Check for cracks in the hull, check that the bungs are in, and most likely cause would be a broken carbon seal from the drive shaft...can you try and track the leak a little more

Quote Originally Posted by lukelegend View Post
    Check for cracks in the hull, check that the bungs are in, and most likely cause would be a broken carbon seal from the drive shaft...can you try and track the leak a little more
    there are some hoses that go to the engine from the pump for cooling purposes. if they are loose or leaky they will flood the hull quickly and if they fall off they will flood the engine compartment very quickly and overheat the engine .

My XP started leaking from where the steering cable passed through the hull, the cable just rattled loose and you could move it in and out 1/4". Of course I had been riding it hard all day the day before

+1
    Check the thru hull fittings like the steering cable and the reverse cable if you have it> Have had both of them go bad in successive years and it will SINK you ski. They are not too much to replace.

+1
    Check cables by itself. I had one that rusted out and water was leaking thru cable (steering). Also check exhaust fitting. I had one cracked too and flooded the engine bay.

+1
    Just leave it on the trailer and back it in so it just starts to float and check the back inside with the seat off for where the water is coming from. It will be obvious most likely.

I just checked the back of the ski and I had already done what you said about backing it into the water with it on the trailer (great idea) and I really can not see very well into that area but I suspect your hint on the thru hulls where the steering (left and righ sides) enter the ski housing seem to have a bit of play - I don't know what is normal but I would guess that if they have too much play water will clearly get into the hull on either side

+1
    Reach in along the cable that is beside the pump. If it is broken there will probably be a loose piece of plastic.
    As far as looking inside use a flashlight and you will see at least which side of the pump housing the water is leaking from.

+1
    Its not about how much play its about whether the seal is broken. On mine when the steering one broke it would not turn right under power.

Thread Information