Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha Suv 1200 questions

Hi guys,

I just bought an old yamaha suv, from 2000. It has 86 hours, and looks in good condition. However there are a few questions / problems, that I would appreciate A LOT! if anybody could help me...

1. The manual says to flush it / for about 10 to 15 minutes! the guy who sold me told me to do it about for 1 or 2 minutes...
    2. The cooling water pilot outlet, doesn't throw any water away when i start flushing
    3. The engine takes a lot of time to start every time I get it the first time on water.
    4. It took only half a deposit to waste the oil deposit...
    5. I took it for a ride today, and 10mn after, a warning sign said the battery was low...

Can somebody please help me?

Best regards

Rui

+1
    A couple of minutes is about right for flushing. Charging system may be defective. Check compression to start diagnosing the hard start. Could need carbs overhauled. I have no idea what you were meaning about the oil.

Many thks for the reply! What I meant about the oil, is that the seller told me that the oil deposit, should last at least for 3 fuel deposits. It seems its wasting too much oil.

What about "The cooling water pilot outlet, doesn't throw any water away when i start flushing"??? Do you know what may be?

Installed a fuel primer on my SUV and did away with the Choke. Cranking these engines for a long period of time is very hard on them. Money and Time well spent for the Primer System

trace the hose back depending upon the ski remove the end that goes to the exhaust and using compressed air blow threw it to clear the line.

Do a load test on your battery to make sure its not faulty. Any parts store can do this fort free.
    Last edited by theheisk; 08-25-2014 at 08:05 AM.

+1
    +1 on the primer for cold starts, the water outlet may be obstructed. trace it back to the exhaust pipe, disconnect it and see if it is clogged. put a volt meter on your battery and crank your ski up on the hose...see if it is charging

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    +1 on the primer for cold starts, the water outlet may be obstructed. trace it back to the exhaust pipe, disconnect it and see if it is clogged. put a volt meter on your battery and crank your ski up on the hose...see if it is charging
    Get it running before turning on the water! Water will back up in the block if not running.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dockwalker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    Get it running before turning on the water! Water will back up in the block if not running.
    This goes for any jet ski, good call. Figured since he was reading manual he had already knew how to flush
    Last edited by xxx2; 08-25-2014 at 10:07 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerreiro View Post
    Many thks for the reply! What I meant about the oil, is that the seller told me that the oil deposit, should last at least for 3 fuel deposits. It seems its wasting too much oil.

I think u are trying to say a full tank of oil should last for three tanks of fuel, and u used a full tank of oil to one tank of fuel.

Did you actully add oil to see what it used? That tank holds like 1 1/2 gallons if I recall right. I was adding about 1 gallon of oil every 20 hours /3-4 tanks of fuel, at this point it would be reading 1 bar of oil on the gauge, but no light. That was with very little WOT, ( the oil pump is verible flow something like 200:1 at idle and scales to 50:1 at full trottle as throttle is increased dont qoute me on those #'s just trying to explaine it.)as that is the wife's ski/tube puller. Usage of more oil could be a result of a massive adjustment to the pump cable linkage, but unlikly since previous owner told you what sounds normal to me. Is there oil in the bilge? Search the forums regaurding converting it to premix, some like it some don't. It iliminates potetional oil related engine failure if done properly, but comes with the cost of using more oil.

I agree with above responses about the cooling spout. Ours was clogged with what we call "dirt dobbers" here in fla after not being in the water for just 2 weeks.

As far as the hard to start issue, I am one of the only people I know that dislikes primers. If ski is hard to start there is a problem somewhere imo. I prefer the choke, that way once the ski fires you know the carbs are pumping fuel and engine is receiving proper amount of fuel/lubercation. I start my skis weekly sometimes more, and even on the rare occasion that I am away for 2-3 weeks, they still fire up at full choke and about 1/4 throttle in about 3-4 secs less than 2secs when started weekly. Same thing on the water. If they sit for a few hours they like full choke, and 1/4 thorttle to fire right away.
    Carbs should be rebuilt unless previous owner provided you with documentation or some kinda proof he recently had them done. It is cheap and some people say it should be done yearly. If compression is on the low side..... anything below 115ish, then there is ring wear (perfectly normal wear if about the same on all cylinder) and it could effect fuel being sucked in on the upstroke. Ski will still run fine once running, but be a real pain to start cold or even after being shut off for awhile on the water. Still fine to run it as long as they are in 10%ish of each other. But hard starting could be a factor.
    I discovered low compression (105) in #1 (2&3 were 130) after my wife had killed the battery trying to start it one day. Issue was caused from overheating a few weeks prior when she had sucked up grass and ran it to the point of triggering the alarm. (More than once I didn't know until I tore the motor down and questioned her) Ski still ran fine once I got it started it was reading 54 on the dreamo meter. Once we got home I decided to check compression cause even I had a hell of a time starting it after switching batteries with my ski. Had it had a primer, It would of started and instead of a simple hone and rings I woulda been looking at $100s in a very short amount of time, as one of the rings had gotten snaged on the exhaust port and was broke. Was just a matter of time till it worked lose and caused bad damage.
    Last edited by Echo; 08-26-2014 at 01:30 AM.

+1
    I hate premix. It's a pain at the marina. The rule of thumb I use is I fill my oil tanks up at the start of the day. Not sure about the SUV, because it's variable ratio, but on my Ventures (straight mix pumps) one tank of oil (1.1gl) will last approximately 3-4 tanks of fuel. Just fill the oil tank everyday and you have no worries. For peace of mind, carry a quart or pint of oil to put in if you feel you may run out while traveling. As for the primers. ...I frigging HATE primers! I replaced the chokes with primers and I have went through 5 primers this season. And my skis started on the choke after 3-4 seconds.... talk about shooting myself in the foot! In my opinion, a primer is a piss poor accessory. If it won't start, it indicates a PROBLEM THAT NEEDS ATTENTION!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information