Power issues 99 XL 1200 Ltd

I am having troubles with my 99 xl 1200 ltd. it ran great last year but had the common cavitation issues. This year I installed a new intake grate and the pump seal kit. Right out if the hole it felt great, pulled right on plane and felt great. Then after 30 seconds or so I lost power. It still sounds good, pulls up on plane fine but is lacking power. I can only hit about 30-35 mph. Any ideas what to look for?

+1
    After checking to see if all cyl are good on compression, you should rebuild the carbs, It is very common for todays gas to corrode and gum up the carbs, when the internal filter is mostly clogged you will have enough gas to get on plane but not enough to go fast. Do not delay, because a lack of fuel on one can cause you to burn up a cyl and piston.

I have been reading a bunch of posts about Similar issues and I wonder if I have A power valve issue. Is there a good way to check them? Is there a good diagram showing them?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    After checking to see if all cyl are good on compression, you should rebuild the carbs, It is very common for todays gas to corrode and gum up the carbs, when the internal filter is mostly clogged you will have enough gas to get on plane but not enough to go fast. Do not delay, because a lack of fuel on one can cause you to burn up a cyl and piston.

^^This^^

No since jumping all over the place with possible issues till you address the most common. You make it sound like the ski has been sitting since last year. Compression test is a must, please check it and post results. Carbs are next......

+1
    Power valve issues do not cause that big a problem. (unless they broke and fell down and hit the piston). A stuck open power valve will be lacking on bottom end power but have good top end, a stuck closed will have great bottom end power but be down a few hundred rpm and 5 mph, not 15-20 mph.

Thread Information