Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage TX 1200 Running Issues

I have a 2002 Virage TX which wont run WOT. Last week it ran PERFECT, jumped up to 60 MPH without any issues. The impeller shaft broke, so I pulled it out and replaced it with a new jet pump assembly. Put it back in the water and now it will not go over 40 MPH. It feels like it is misfiring and skipping. While riding I can feel and hear one of the cylinders kicking in and out like its trying to kick on but cant. I removed each of the spark plug wires one at a time to see how it would run with each one disconnected. When the rear one was disconnected the Ski wouldnt even run, the middle one disconnected it wouldnt run at all, the front one disconnected it runs the same as if it was connected (40MPH) but without the hesitation and the spuddering/skipping feeling. So I am assuming its something to do with the front cylinder, spark, or gas intake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ski has 100% new fuels lines as of two weeks ago and new spark plugs gaped to .28. Thank you in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did you change the two pulse hoses between crankcase and fuel pumps? Is the front pulse hose hooked up incorrectly?

+1
    What happened when the previous jet pump impeller shaft broke? Did the whole engine/drivetrain jam to a halt?

If so... it's possible to have twisted the PTO crank portion out of it's pressed alignment with the rest of the crankshaft. Do the cylinder indexing check to see if this is the case. Hopefully not... since that would require a new or rebuilt crank.

Cheers!

Are the pulse hoses the ones that go to the head? If im not mistaken one of them towards the front cylinder and one towards the back cylinder and goes to the carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    What happened when the previous jet pump impeller shaft broke? Did the whole engine/drivetrain jam to a halt?

If so... it's possible to have twisted the PTO crank portion out of it's pressed alignment with the rest of the crankshaft. Do the cylinder indexing check to see if this is the case. Hopefully not... since that would require a new or rebuilt crank.

Cheers!
    When the shaft snapped i heard rattling under the seat and before i could stop it sounded like the spacer got wedged, which it did in the impeller and then instantly stalled the engine. How do I perform the cylinder indexing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xxdaco69xx View Post
    Are the pulse hoses the ones that go to the head? If im not mistaken one of them towards the front cylinder and one towards the back cylinder and goes to the carbs?
    There are no hoses to the cylinder heads.

The pulse hoses connect to fittings on the side of the crankcase just above the intake reeds. The other end of each hose goes to the pulse fitting on the fuel pump, one for the rear carb and one for the front carb. There is no pulse fitting for the center carb.

I know exactly which ones you're talking about now. Yes I did. They are connected correctly. And what doesn't make sense to me is the fact that last week once i changed all of the lines out it was running like a champ. And the front cylinder is also getting a spark, is it possible that it's not getting a good/consistent spark?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xxdaco69xx View Post
    I know exactly which ones you're talking about now. Yes I did. They are connected correctly. And what doesn't make sense to me is the fact that last week once i changed all of the lines out it was running like a champ. And the front cylinder is also getting a spark, is it possible that it's not getting a good/consistent spark?
    Check the crankshaft for twisted out of phase. Also check that the flywheel has not spun out of index and sheared the woodruff key. TDC on the front piston should show the zero degree mark on the flywheel through the inspection hole on top of the flywheel housing.

Recheck the pulse hoses just in case something has worked loose.

Do you by any chance have any pictures or tips on how to access the flywheel and crank shaft to inspect?

+1
    Three useful links directly from the Polaris PWC Knowledge site... from K447's signature link

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1475653

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...l=1#post264189

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1502246

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information