96 slx 780 stuck in limp mode tryed everything

I bought a 96 SLX 780. It needed a motor rebuild. Got it running, ran great all season. Went to get it out the following year and like a fool I hooked up the battery backwards. went into limp mode after that. since then I have tried everything I can think of to fix it but no luck. I have 33 ohms resisters in place of the fuel and oil sensors so those are good. for the overheat sensor I tried disconnecting it. still in limp mode so I tested it with a continuity meter and no continuity to ground so that's good. I also replaced the Regulator Rectifier A. Also replaced the CDI box. And just tried some simple things as well like disconnection the large fuse. nothing also tried removing the grey wire from the CDI box. also checked to see if the battery was charging with a voltage meter while the ski was running it was reading 14v so the stator should be good.

I'm running out of things to try. If anyone has the answer or any suggestions (other than don't hook battery up backwards lol) please let me know. It would be a big help.

Also how can I test my CDI box? I replaced mine with a used one. Want to check it to make sure its working properly.

What takes place during limp mode? I know there's not a rev limiter but the ski revs out at half throttle. Is this done by the cdi signal to the stator to change the timing?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What exactly is happening with the engine? Does it rev to redline out of the water?

What RPM does it reach in the water? Any warning light or message on the MFD display?

As I slowly apply the throttle at about 50% I have reached the max rpm it will allow me to. 50% - 100% nothing changes as to before it would rev all the way up. I don't have a way to read the RPM. But in the water the ski wont even get on plain. I have had this ski in limp mode before on the water and it acted the same way. As for the MFD it does not work. I got the ski that way and did not want to pay the big bucks for one.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by adamtonn View Post
    As I slowly apply the throttle at about 50% I have reached the max rpm it will allow me to. 50% - 100% nothing changes as to before it would rev all the way up. I don't have a way to read the RPM. But in the water the ski wont even get on plain. I have had this ski in limp mode before on the water and it acted the same way. As for the MFD it does not work. I got the ski that way and did not want to pay the big bucks for one.
    Unplug the MFD connector from behind the display. Sometimes a dead MFD will affect the ignition.

Out of the water will the engine rev much higher than in the water?

+1
    Have you ohm tested the stator? I have seen bad stator limit RPM as well....

Thread Information