Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

hoping someone knows this answer about 2015 hulls

i know probably no one has the answer to this as no one has one.. but its holding me up from getting a 2014 at a steal....

How much stronger do you guys think the new nano hulls are compared to 14'? Are they strong enough to make you wait for a 2015 at $16000 or say hell no and pull the trigger on a 14' at 13200 OTD?

+1
    Geez, why don't you ask something easy like "How do I bring about world peace?"....

I do a bit of boatbuilding with epoxy composites and to answer: "Will the addition of microspheres strengthen the hull?" would have an answer of "It depends..." On ratios of clay and sphere fillers to epoxy (or whatever) resin, on initial thickness of sheet prior to molding, on final thickness of hull in critical areas, etc, etc...

After all the hype (and in some cases despair) I can't see Yamaha taking a chance on something that doesn't improve on their hulls in areas where the market has been critical... I will say that I don't ever see a one step sheet molded epoxy based hull being as hard and tough re surface wear as polyester/gel coat if that's what you're measuring it against. That's why I'm happy after my repaint under warranty, the surface finish of the aftermarket two pack paint is much harder than what came out of the factory.

I have a 2014 ski and while I like what Yamaha has done, am content to wait and let the new ideas be tested in the market for a bit. If you you look at my signature you can see that I'm not afraid to upgrade but am just going to sit on this beast for a bit, though I can see myself eventually wanting the RiDe and weight reduction.

Of course, my advice is worth what it cost you...

3. +1 by:

+1
    Well, I am a bit skeptical that they can take 35 lbs out and it be stronger, but thats just me. I would get the 14 at a deal and be happy. You still get the big engine and pump improvements, and honestly most have not had a problem with the hull. I "personally" do not know of anyone, only guys who posted here. There are a ton of others who didn't have any issues or there would be a lot of spare engines and pats, ect from the boats that hulls went bad on.

+1
    35lb. That's a lot of material if it was removed from the hull. Makes one think just where and how they shaved off the weight. I have a 14 FZR and I love it. I'd go for the 14 and use the money difference and apply to a few speed goodies.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob142sti View Post
    i know probably no one has the answer to this as no one has one.. but its holding me up from getting a 2014 at a steal....

How much stronger do you guys think the new nano hulls are compared to 14'? Are they strong enough to make you wait for a 2015 at $16000 or say hell no and pull the trigger on a 14' at 13200 OTD?
    I highly doubt it's stronger. Yamaha says it's a lighter material that has the same strength. Is 40lbs worth $2800 to you?

+1
    Yamaha removed some unnecessary weight from the inner area's, the area the entrap the expandable foam that helps the ski float and the upper deck, the lower hull retains the thickness and weight, this comes from someone that helped design and test the new models

+1
    Doesn't sound stronger for 15 compared to 14 .. maybe just lighter at same strength (or could be worse strength??? time will tell)

+1
    Now we just have to wait for the RiDE retrofit kits to come out.. So the pre 15' skis can share in the wealth.

Not just nano2 but electric trim and brake..I'd wait for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Apex gt View Post
    Not just nano2 but electric trim and brake..I'd wait for sure..
    That can be added to any ski..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information