RXT Engine Washing Question

I'm feeling a bit silly asking this question, but needs to be done...

I ride solely in salt water, and have just changed from an older 2 stroke (99 GTX RFI) to my lovely new RXT.

Whenever I used to clean/flush my old 2 stroke, it seemed really "natural" to wash all my engine and inside of the hull with plenty of fresh water. It always seemed quite salty the seadog damp in there, and the bottom of the hull always had a reasonable amount of water hanging around.

After my first ride on the RXT the other day though, the engine and inside hull area seemed as dry as a very dry thing. No water, moisture or salt to be seen anywhere. So it felt really odd to then get it all wet by hosing it all off.

I won't start the usual WD40 debate, but I DO spray all the metal bits with WD40 to try and protect those.

So what's the general opinion? Do you always wash your engine/hull off, or if it's dry do you just leave it?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i am 100% salt water rider...

i use WD-40 also... if i see alot of salt cystals everywhere i thoroughly drench and rinse the motor and engine compartment inside and out. if it looks pretty damn clean, i'll still give a msiting of WD-40 anyways, i'll jsut skip the rinsing occassionally.

9 times outta 10 tho, i jsut hose down everything bc it's inevitable to wash the ski with the seats removed and not get the motor soaked anyways.

i think goin the extra mile will pay off in the end... it'll set your ski apart from the rest if it stays clean on the inside. once you get lazy and stop risning, it catches up with you quick! i always get a few dropped jaws at houw spotless and shiny every part in my engine compartment is.

i would recommend you use "Salt-Away".. it's a concentrate that you put in one of thsoe water mixer for the garden hose.. neutrailizes and dissolves every bit of salt anywhere. i rinse with it and flush with it.

how are you draining the water out of the engine compartment when you are doing that?

I ride mostly in salt water too but my engine compartment has been staying very dry.

Do you just lift up the trailer and let it come out the plugs?

Yep, just pick the fron end up and let it drain out the back.

With my old GTX, it was easy to see that all the water had drained form the hull as loads of room around the engine.

The RTX has a lot more engine crammed in there, so more difficult to see.

+1
    my engine compartment stays as dry as can possibly be!! but that doesn't mean you aren't experiencing corrossion. salt will destroy anything and everything. proper maintenance and care is crucial. do everything you can to inhibit and prevent corrossion because once it starts, there is no turning back. the skis pull in alot of air into the hulls, and that air is loaded with salt crystals just within the air and humidty.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    the skis pull in alot of air into the hulls, and that air is loaded with salt crystals just within the air and humidty.
    Good point!

What about under the front storage compartment? Is there anything that needs washing off there? My old ski had a removable bin and I always used to give the front hull a good wash as well. I see that there are a couple of access panels on the RXT, what are they for?

+1
    in the front store... one access panel holds the fire extinguisher... behind that is the stock air intake and the gas tank, etc...

the other access panel towards the bow of the ski if for the wiring harness and connectors that go into the hood. no need to remove any of these for normal rinsing...

every once in awhile i remove the glove box (comes out VERY VERY easy, just by pushing in 2 tabs) and i spray some bombardier lube under there. just a few misc. nuss and bolts and the gas tank components there. so i spray them once in a blue mood to keep em corrosion free.

important things to spray with the hose are the motor itself, exhaust pipe and manifold, metal items basically.... rinse them off, let the hull air dry (it's best to keep the ski stored with the seats removed and keep them leaning up right with the front of the seat down. this is the only way the water that's logged into the seat cushions will drain.) after the hull is air dry, give it your misting of WD-40 or bombardier lube and it's a done deal... even if u WD-40 only every other time, that's enough for protection unless ur anal about the ski stayin spotless like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    (it's best to keep the ski stored with the seats removed and keep them leaning up right with the front of the seat down. this is the only way the water that's logged into the seat cushions will drain.)
    Tell me about it. I actually LOST my seat out in the sea back in the summer, came off while my mate was thrashing my ski around.

Amazingly, someone found it a few days later on the beach and happened to hand it in to a local yacht club. Even more amazingly, the son of a chap who I work with, works behind the bar there.... and had happened to overhear his Dad talking about my expensive lost seat (404 here in the UK!)..... SOOO I got it back! But Boy, was it waterlogged, took ages to dry out

Thread Information