Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Problem With 2005 RXP

Ok, I just had my supercharger rebuilt/serviced on my 2005 Sea Doo RXP about 8 hours ago and haven't had any problems until today. I was out on the lake riding around for an hour and a half or so and it was running fine. I started doing some half assed 180's (turn in one direction then quickly turn the other way). After about 4 or 5 of these maneuvers in a row my ski started to sound strange and lost almost all power. It sounded like the engine was making a rattling or grinding kind of noise. About 8-10 seconds later the oil light came on and I immediately turned off the ski. I sat for 10 minutes or so and checked the oil level which seemed fine, waited another 5 minutes and fired it back up, but when I was starting it, it seemed to be having a hard time turning over (very slow revs), but it started and the oil light didn't come back on. It would only go about 10 or 15mph and I let it idle and it stalled out after about 15-20 seconds. It wouldn't turn over for me after that and I had to get towed back in about 2 miles. The engine temp was fine and when this happened it wouldn't go over 2500-3000 rpms. I checked for codes a little while ago by pressing the set button 5 times quickly, but it only said end (no codes).

I'm useless when it comes to working on these. I have no idea what it could be. Blown motor? SC shot? How screwed am I?

+1
    welcome to GH

well you did not give us much info
    I would first check fuel PSI
    it should have 58psi

+1
    Ok, how do I check the fuel psi?

+1
    Sounds like you have internal engine damage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestram View Post
    Sounds like you have internal engine damage
    Sounds like it to me to pull the hose off the mouth of the supercharger and check the wheel for play it shouldn't have any and definatly shouldn't spin

+1
    sounds to me like the person that "rebuilt" the supercharger did not install the bearings properly and they have now failed and the charger gear is hanging up on the flywheel causing the bind situation that you are seeing-- I purchased a machine just like this 5 years ago. About 8 hours on a "fresh rebuild-- not done properly"-- I got lucky, I purchased the machine like this. The customer that took his machine in for the preventive charger rebuild got the screwing.

+1
    Well, I just got off the phone with the place that did the supercharger rebuild and the guy said from what I told him on the phone, it sounded to him like I "seized the motor up". This is a reputable place in my area. If this is the case and the motor is seized, is this something that would be related to the SC being done incorrectly? Should they be held accountable? I had the service done less than 30 days ago, and as I said before only about 7 or 8 hours of use.

+1
    Get in there and pull the supercharger and see what it looks like. If the bearings went or the shaft broke you can assume it was due to the rebuild.

Here's a step by step on how to get the supercharger out

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13403

9. +1 by:

jim

+1
    Well I brought it to the shop this morning and the same guy I talked to on the phone said that from what I was telling him it sounded like the "supercharger came apart" he also added that he hoped that wasn't the case, to which I assured him I hoped it was.... They never got back to me today as he told me they probably wouldn't get to it today, but he said they will definitely get to it tomorrow.

+1
    The guy got back to me today and told me that it was not the supercharger and that I could go down and look at the supercharger myself to see that it was in working order. I didn't bother going down to check out the supercharger as I'm sure it would be in working condition. He told me that there was catastrophic engine damage and he found copper and aluminum deposits in the engine oil. He told me that without taking the engine apart he couldn't tell me what caused this catastrophic failure of the engine. He told me that a rebuild (a reconditioned motor from BRP) would cost about $4000 without adding in the labor. He told me that what he would do if this machine were his is have a used engine put in which would cost "about half" of the price of a rebuild. He told me that they don't put used parts in at his shop, but he knows of a shop that will. I just bought the ski for $4600 with 149hrs on it and only put 7 or 8 hours of use on it. I'm not really sure what I should do. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information