1996 Polaris SL900 stator ohm test

just wondering if anyone can confirm if the value of a stator ohm test between the black and gray wire is at the low end (89.1 ohms) that this would be a contributor to the engine stalling. the engine seems to be very unpredictable when it stalls, it could range from idle or fail at full throttle.

I thought it may be fuel so I swapped carbs from my other identical machine and had the same condition. both machines have about 140 hrs on them.
    Last edited by K447; 08-27-2014 at 08:20 AM.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk!

Which model ski are we talking about?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Welcome to the hulk!

Which model ski are we talking about?
    SL 900 from 1996, apparently (I got a PM).

See my signature links regarding the Ignition Update Kit. If the engine still has the original CDI and stator then it seems likely that the stator is failing due to engine vibration and age.

Stator ohm values are ranges, and plus or minus a few percent is common. Different meters will give slightly different answers, and the stators also vary. A difference 10% or more outside the expected ohm range is cause for concern.

The diagnostic problem is that engine vibration and heat can cause the stator to fail in operation despite the correct ohm measurements when the engine is cold and not running.
    Last edited by K447; 08-27-2014 at 11:46 AM.

I agree that heat and vibration are unknown contributors. Can anyone identify the correct replacement part # and where to buy.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by givner View Post
    I agree that heat and vibration are unknown contributors. Can anyone identify the correct replacement part # and where to buy.
    SBT sells replacement 'ignition upgrade kits'.

My understanding is that the CDI sold by SBT is a genuine PVL manufactured unit, same OEM that Polaris used.

The stators in the SBT kit are not from PVL but are aftermarket sourced. There have been sporadic reports of issues with some of the stators, presumably SBT is now aware and has improved quality control.

These CDI and stators are all Gen III type, which cannot be combined with the original Gen I and Gen II ignitions.

You can either try to find a still good original stator (Gen I or Gen II) that will work with your existing CDI or you can buy the kit from SBT.

Another possibility is to find someone selling a genuine Polaris Ignition Update kit. These became hard to find when Polaris ran out of inventory but since SBT now sells their kits some of the hoarded Polaris units are being sold sporadically.

See my signature links for the relevant part numbers regarding original and updated ignitions.

Thread Information