+1

How often to have carbs rebuilt?

How often to have carbs rebuilt for a premix engine? Is there a general rule for preventative maintenance cleaning or simply as needed?
    At least once a year?
    Once every other year? etc...et...

+1
    here in the midwest if its not broke dont fix it. i have never rebuild a carb just because a certain time has past. when its leaking or not running right then replace what need to be replaced other than that no. i have carbs that have not been touched on a 1971 honda Cb350 and still starts on the first kick and runs like a champ. now since your in Florida with salt water the locals would know best. it all comes down to good fuel, oil, and other maintenance

All my skis are on premix. I have a Yamaha GP1200 and a couple 701 skis that haven't been rebuilt in atleast three years and they pull hard from idle to WOT. I agree with Banshee...if ain't broke...don't fix it. Just check the plugs every now and then. Funny enought...I pulled the plugs on my GP1200 tonight for the first time in three years and it looks a little rich but I'll take that any day! LOL.

banshee and vdubspeed know what they are talking about. it should not matter if you're premix or not. if you run the ski on a regular basis you shouldn't have to worry about rebuiding your carbs. people that let their ski's sit for a long time and let the gas gum up and dry out are the ones that need their carbs done. i have cleaned several sets of carbs without replacing the o-rings, diaphrams, or jets "aka rebuilding". ethanol gas and stale gas are the 2 biggest problems for carbs. i have a 96 gti "18 years old" that has never had the carbs rebuilt and it will pull a tube or a water skier out of the water no problem. if your riding habits don't involve racing or riding "balls to the wall" than you don't need premix. premix gives you just that "premix", if you mix it 40/1 than you are getting 40/1 all the time. a 2 stroke motor doesn't need 40/1 at idle, the engine isn't working so it may only need 60/1, thats where the stock oil pump comes in handy. it regulates the amount of oil going into your engine depending on engine rpm. if you premix your ski and run at low rpms and/or let it idle for long periods of time you will have wet black plugs and throw a lot of extra smoke out of your exhaust. i haven't changed the plugs in my gti in three years and she fires up every time. check your plugs like vdubspeed said, if they are brownish in color than you are perfect. if they are a little wet and black thats ok, if they are soaked wet you have to much oil "rich". if they are white your going to burn up your engine "lean". hope this helps.

+1
    If its not broke, don't fix it....... buuut pre mix is much better than straight gas being ethanol corrodes aluminum. If you have rebuilt them before and did not re-coat the aluminum after scraping away all of the corrosion, it is no longer anodized in those spots. Most common need for carb rebuilding around here is internal corrosion. Especially in the spring when the gas has been sitting in the carb all winter rotting it away. Also you cant re use the fuel pump diaphragms so don't take the carbs apart unless you plan on buying rebuild kits. If you want the carbs to last, premix helps, ride as frequent as possible, if you have access to non ethanol fuel that's great, and treatments such as stabil or valvtect

+1
    the check valves on the fuel pump body of a 951 last between 120-180 hours. Because of this, I would recommend replacing these at 120 hours or so, but if you are the type of person that can't handle the job 100%, I do not recommend taking it in for service as your paid mechanic will most likely screw something else up on your machine.

+1
    YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks!

Thread Information