Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Supercharger touchdown. Need some advice!

I've got a 2007 RXP with X-Charger that was getting close to requiring a rebuild. There were approximately 70 hours on the charger since it's last rebuild. Last weekend, while running down river, I noticed power loss and a decrease in speed. Ski ran fine until I was able to get her out of the water. Pulled the charger and this is what I found. Washers, gear etc look okay, but there was an obvious touchdown on the wheel.

Is it worth rebuilding the charger or should I be looking for a new X-Charger? I plan to pull my Fizzle intercooler, but what else should I be inspecting for failure? I've got a funny feeling this just became an expensive project :/

Any help would be appreciated. I've already contacted Jerry regarding rebuild options, but I'm pretty confident I've got more work in front of me.

+1
    pull the front cover off and see what the damage is

+1
    looks like something may have went through it...

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    pull the front cover off and see what the damage is
    Will take care of that tonight.

+1
    You should probably check the front oil pump screen to make sure you don't have any debris in there too. Mine just had a touchdown due to a bearing failure. I was lucky and all parts were there and the only thing in the screen was a small piece of the bearing cage. Something caused the touchdown so something had to move that wasn't supposed to. I ended up just getting a new X-charger. At the rate those superchargers spin, I didn't want to risk it to save some money on a rebuild.

+1
    That doesnt look like a touchdown,BUT like something went through it....Did it injest water by any chance????What kind of air intake are you running??

TO answer your question though,It will be cheaper to just buy a brand new X charger VS rebuilding/fixing this one...a new one is 925.00.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=773

VS a replacement rebuild kit at 328.00

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=763

and a new wheel at 548.00 and cover at 189.00

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....RCHARGER-ASSY.

+1
    Pull the IC as well.....those bits and pieces from the wheel went somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    That doesnt look like a touchdown,BUT like something went through it....Did it injest water by any chance????What kind of air intake are you running??

TO answer your question though,It will be cheaper to just buy a brand new X charger VS rebuilding/fixing this one...a new one is 925.00.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=773

VS a replacement rebuild kit at 328.00

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=763

and a new wheel at 548.00 and cover at 189.00

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....RCHARGER-ASSY.
    Thank you for your very informative reply! Jerry agrees, a new x charger is required. I pulled the intercooler and found a couple of large chunks of the SC wheel inside. While the IC was out, I flushed it thoroughly with brake cleaner . I also extracted the oil and refilled it twice with some cheap 10w40 I had lying around. What I'm a bit worried about are the small metal shavings I found in the oil filter. It wasn't clogged by any means, but there were very small traces of metal between some of the filter pleats. Nothing of significant size. Just very tiny particles and the occassional small flake.

I run a rear intake, so the chance of injesting something is greater. I was running a flat river at the time, but even then, I frequently ride a very rough Lake Michigan and never have had a problem. I suppose there's a time for everything

Am I screwed? What should I check next? Oil pumps? Can they be removed without pulling the motor?

Thanks again!

+1
    No your not screwed, shit like this happens..you ICer caught the big chunks before they entered the motor..the tiny partials of metal you seen in your filter is normal, it happens over time...you already flushed your ICer now replace your SCER, and enjoy the rest of the season....we don't have much time left up here in the midwest..

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    No your not screwed, shit like this happens..you ICer caught the big chunks before they entered the motor..the tiny partials of metal you seen in your filter is normal, it happens over time...you already flushed your ICer now replace your SCER, and enjoy the rest of the season....we don't have much time left up here in the midwest..
    Thanks again for the reply. You've calmed down my fears a little. I inspected the intercooler core rather closely, and for any reasonably sized metal bit to have gone in one side and out the other, it would have damaged the core. Well, at least I think it would have

Out of curiosity, how do you take apart the supercharge housing? I've taken out the housing bolts, but the gasket keeps a pretty good seal on the housing. I've heard something about using a 1/2 socket, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use a 1/2" socket to twist the housing halves off.

Thanks again Snoman! Time for a new SC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information