2015 Yamaha with RIDE system

Just returned from Yamaha's 2015 Waverunner dealer meeting. I rode every 2015 Waverunner including models with RIDE System: throttle on the right hand and reverse on the left hand! It is truly a simple system to operate. No more reverse levers. Squeeze the reverse throttle at any speed and it will slow your Waverunner immediately while maintaining steering control. Also the new FZ's are even lighter than previous. VX, VX Deluxe, VX Cruiser and VXR are completely redesigned with new hull, deck, instrumentation and RIDE! Yamaha has really done their homework and listened to the wants and needs of their clients.

+1
    Wonder where they got that idea?

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedXP View Post
    according to yamaha they invented it LOL

all jokes aside i really do like the new line of them.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Now Kawasaki needs to show that they too can learn from others and improve.

Apparently the Yamaha Ride system may be a step up over the Seadoo IBR implementations. Does IBR allow steering while braking?

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Now Kawasaki needs to show that they too can learn from others and improve.

Apparently the Yamaha Ride system may be a step up over the Seadoo IBR implementations. Does IBR allow steering while braking?
    from my experience with my iBR you can steer a little bit with it. sometimes it likes to pull in one direction. it really depends on the speed in which you engage it. slower speeds allow more steering.

the fastest i have ever pulled the trigger to brake was around 30 mph only because i wanted to see how far the water shoots up.

Not that my opinion matters, I think They were hesitant to change the reverse and put on the left side is because they didnt want people on the throttle when they 'changed gears'. Seadoo made it a 'break' and people loved it...But, there are STILL many many unhappy people with how much the ibr systems costs to repair. Do i think you need a brake on a jet ski...ehhhh....

The way i see it, you always kept your hand on the left side of the bars, and used your right hand to adjust your direction. If you are driving to the point where you need to use an excessive amount of throttle in reverse, and are having a tough time transitioning smoothly between the two, you are either (almost) show boating and driving too fast in your condition or you just don't know what you are doing and need to slow down and learn how to properly drive the machine.

When you are parking or docking, it should be at an idle speed or just coming to an idle speed...like 4-6 mph.. and you hand doesn't need to touch the throttle. People tend to panic and goose it, and it causes them to flail off and either hit another boat, dock, piling, rock, whatever...ive seen people drive a ski clear under their dock once because they goosed when they shouldn't have. You don't see 'experienced' boaters throttling hard on the controls on they are parking their big center consoles do you or sport fishers, even boats as small as 12 foot skis No, that's because reverse should be a slow and easy'going process. All that momentum can cause damage..

I have to drive out of town soon and will check on these new skis at riva, but to be honest with you. My opinion, its just another thing to break. The reverse system was perfect....Maybe ill change my mind if they let me take one for a ride...I AM in the market for a few more skis...

+1
    I think its best function is being able to in a critical situation slow the ski down and turn away from the problem. Biggest issue I see with people on ski's is when they get in trouble they let off the throttle and try to turn. Being able to just pull the lever at any speed to slow down and still turn will keep a lot of accidents from happening. Did not really like the sea doo implementation. I do like the idea of neutral and that is the only thing I wish the FZR had. At least on some of the other models the reverse gate controls had a neutral position, if they added that to the FZ reverse lever it would be all I need. Having neutral would make it much easier when in a large group of ski's to stay together with out turning the ski on and off or working the reverse gate constantly to adjust.

I used to take groups of people ranging from 2-14 skis and get them all in a group to speak to them on the ocean, we stopped and did this formation 5-7 times in a 1.5 hour period. Never had reverse and it was a synch...

I think people rely too much on other things, besides their ability or inability to operate the machine properly. Reverse is designed as a parking luxury, not an evasive maneuvering device. A neutral notch would be nice, but its really easy to maneuver without it, it just takes a little bit of proactive thinking and the ability to learn and retain a new action.

+1
    I think you missed the point.. It is NOT just reverse, it is also an active brake that you can engage and still have full steering.

+1
    Yamaha got it right, the RIDE system works perfectly, I traded my 2006 SeaDoo with 522 hours on it for a 2015 Yamaha VXR. I put my new VXR through every drill that I could think of and every time the performance of the RIDE system exceeded my expiations.
    Nice job YAMAHA.

Thread Information