crankshaft inspection?

I'm rebuilding the motor in a 2002 XLT 1200 with 107 hours due to the rear cylinder being shot. How do I know if I need a new crankshaft or not?

Cape May, NJ
    You probably don't want to hear this, but I would play if safe and send it out to crank works and have them inspect it and rebuild it if need be. To me it wasn't worth the chance when mine blew up, I used a brand new crank. I didn't want to put money into the motor to only be in the same position a short time later. Winter is coming and it will be here before you know it, take the time to do it right and you will be rewarded.

How did the motor blow up in the first place? Have you identified the problem? This is a must, just throwing new parts at this motor without finding out why if blew up in the first place will only lead to it becoming a very expensive project.

...point well taken on the approach to remove the crank for inspection. As been stated, if you know why your 3rd cylinder went down, that would help because if you have an extra ordinary amount of piston fragments in your crank case then the likelihood of those creating problems with the crank bearings is very high. However, as far as inspecting it while in the motor, the longstanding rule of thumb has been if you have side to side play when moving your connecting rod side to side that's ok. But if you have up and down movement/play, that means your crank bearing(s) is bad.

Thread Information