+1

Trim Motor Repair

We have a request for R/C Motor install in the trim box. Makes and Models.
    So far I found this. It's a Mabuchi RS550. Comes standard on Tamiya R/C cars. I need some input so I can add it to the tech section.

+1
    The problem has always been the gear, you can find the correct RPM motor but then the gear wouldn't match. I never did try to order one (gear) but there was a difference, have you checked that out?
    I have trim assemblies in need of a nice high speed motor.

Jug Inspector
    The Mabuchi RS550 is a stock winding/fixed timing motor. Upgrading to any type of superstock motor would do wonders and yet not use high amperage. If you wanted to get really crazy there are modified motors with as few as 9 turns on the windings, and adjustable endbell timing. But the wires required to move that much juice would be ridiculous!

Just go to any hobby store and ask for a stock timing motor, even a cheap one ($15 or so) and it will make a huge difference.

If you guys can get me the pitch and # of teeth on the gear I'll see what I can find. R/C cars use pinion gears with little grub screws to attach them to the motor, but if I remember right when I opened my SL the gear was a way different pitch. BUT I do have access to a ton of vendors so someone get me that info!

Bryan

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I got a PRO trim motor assemble I never got around to installing yet. What is the difference the gearing or the electric motor? The SL750 was starting to squeal at the top and bottom of the range. Does that mean somethings on it's way out?

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    It is supposed to click when at full up or full down. This is the way to reset the trim gauge. Clicking is normal. Squeling is not normal.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I used a trinity midnight stock motor. it was so fast that it would go max to max in about 1 second It took practice to get it to stop in the middle. I simply used a blob of solder to hold the gear on the motor shaft. They use a funky pitch, and there is no place for a set screw. I tried all the gears I had for my rc ctuff. Any rc motor should work. actually the smaller, slower ones would be best. Remember that torque is a non issue because of the gearing, and any motor you plop in there will be running at 12V instead of 7.2.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLion View Post
    It is supposed to click when at full up or full down. This is the way to reset the trim gauge. Clicking is normal. Squeling is not normal.
    I know that squealing is not normal. It started toward the end of my eleventh summer with it. Heck 11 years something has got to go I guess, hopefully not.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    I used a trinity midnight stock motor. it was so fast that it would go max to max in about 1 second It took practice to get it to stop in the middle. I simply used a blob of solder to hold the gear on the motor shaft. They use a funky pitch, and there is no place for a set screw. I tried all the gears I had for my rc ctuff. Any rc motor should work. actually the smaller, slower ones would be best. Remember that torque is a non issue because of the gearing, and any motor you plop in there will be running at 12V instead of 7.2.
    Trinity stock motor is like a $25 stock class motor and if that makes that much of a difference modified motors would be useless.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    I know that squealing is not normal. It started toward the end of my eleventh summer with it. Heck 11 years something has got to go I guess, hopefully not.
    My guess is bearings or bushings of course.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 04-10-2007 at 09:54 PM.

me an my brother use 2 race carpet racers , i have a midnight II motor in mine an the gear comes off with a allen wrench 2 the tightner on the shaft , why not just epoxy it on there ,

im not sure of the rpms but mine went 52 mph , an has a carbon fiber body only wieghs 4 lbs with a battery

legend told if you hit some body in the ankle with it youll be walking like hanks dad off king of the hell ,

any body need pictures of my sprocket an gear setup ?

Thread Information