Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

MSX 150 Check engine light, wont go past 3000 rpm

Was riding my msx today and it was running fine then all of a sudden the engine bogged down and won't go past 3000 rpm. I unhooked the battery to see if it would reset itself. Fired it back up still the same thing. Any ideas?

+1
    Are you getting any 'check engine' or other indicators when this rev limiting happens?

Is this a hard rev limit at 3k as if ECU imposed? Or just around 3k?

Try engaging reverse fully and confirm if you still have the 3400 rpm limit working.

In the absence of any 'check engine' indicators... I would first suspect the SIFB... which can go bad (not uncommon) and cause weird rev limiting issues, since it tells the ECU when reverse is engaged and the ECU then limits to 3400.

If you know someone who had an MSX 110/150... you could borrow and swap them out (attached to the wire harness above the battery) and confirm.

Cheers!

+1
    Check engine light is on.

It does feel like its a computer controlled limiter. If I let it sit for a while, say half an hour. Fire it up it'll have all the power back for a couple seconds then it will cut out again to 3000 rpm. I can't do the reverse test because my reverse linkage is broken somewhere in the lever. Been using it that way fora while.

+1
    Could it be that since the reverse linkage is broken that it is vibrating into the proper position and telling the ECU that reverse has been engaged thus limiting RPM? Can the reverse sensor be disconnected to eliminate that scenario?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grovite View Post
    Could it be that since the reverse linkage is broken that it is vibrating into the proper position and telling the ECU that reverse has been engaged thus limiting RPM? Can the reverse sensor be disconnected to eliminate that scenario?
    Does the display show a red flashing reverse warning?

+1
    Its back to doing this again. This time I'll fire it up in the water and it'll hold rev's to 3100 then a few seconds later stay at 2500-2600 rpm. I unplugged the wire from the rear coil pack and nothing happens. So that cylinder is not getting spark. I swapped coil packs and still the same issue, so the coil packs aren't a problem. Butttt, When I run the ski on the trailer it will rev just like normal but still run on one cylinder.

Battery is Brand new
    Plugs are new
    Both Map sensors cleaned

The other day it would do this and I just wiggled the coil pack and it would return to normal for a few minutes then go back to the same limited rpm's. Now when I wiggle the coil nothing happens.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Wire to the coil pack damaged?

+1
    I traced it up about 8" and did not see any damage. I'll keep tracing it and report back.

It just weird because the first 10 min I took it out, it idled fine but wouldn't go over 5000 rpm. I started to flick the throttle fast back and fourth and it would run like normal and rev out. Then it would go back to 5000 again then eventually stay at 2500 rpm. The only warning light on is the check engine.

+1
    I have had this same issue on multiple machines and was never able to fix it because I cant read codes. The first time this happened it changed every sensor there is. The misfire is caused by the computer and it will be dead on the rear cylinder one time then dead on the front another. So its not the coils or the plugs or the injectors or the wiring. If your running it with the SIFB over ridden, that could be the cause because like I said I never tested it on a working machine to see if it would cause a check engine light.

Maybe if you use a resistor to over ride it instead of a piece of wire it would work. Only problem is going to figure out what size resistor

+1
    Sounds like we need to get a working digital wrench setup.... Although i wouldn't have anything to attach it to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information