+1

Looking at a 03 MSX140

I have been trying to do some research on this machine and what could have caused the center cylinder to have low compression. After doing some research I noticed some posts here about the center cylinder going. I have an 03 genesis i, but know these are different animals. I have yet to find how many hours on it. The guy just said its in great condition other than that. It comes with trailer, cover and lift. I offered $1200 prior to looking it over. I will get the vin so my dealer a run a check. I though I read the updates sticker would be on the air box. Is there anything else I should look for with this ski? Thanks for any other insight. RS

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Until you know otherwise is is safest to assume the engine needs a complete rebuild and the EMM needs repair.. Purchase accordingly.

The engine may just need a piston and cylinder replate, or it may have crankshaft issues which means rebuilt time.

The fuel pressure regulator will need reinforcement, but that is low cost to do yourself.

The EMM may or may not be 100% good at the moment but many of them at some point need the C89 capacitor replaced and sometimes the power board needs parts replaced.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Until you know otherwise is is safest to assume the engine needs a complete rebuild and the EMM needs repair.. Purchase accordingly.

The engine may just need a piston and cylinder replate, or it may have crankshaft issues which means rebuilt time.

The fuel pressure regulator will need reinforcement, but that is low cost to do yourself.

The EMM may or may not be 100% good at the moment but many of them at some point need the C89 capacitor replaced and sometimes the power board needs parts replaced.
    I have a replacement C89 cap I got just in case my genesis needed it. Good points. I was just thinking a piston and cylinder, maybe some bearings. NADA prices these skis resale much lower than what people try to sell them for. I have been looking for a while, but the good deals come up to far away or when i'm low on the $$. I have never really dug into a motor much past removing the head and replacing o rings and gaskets. I have the service manual and access to the right tools for the most part. I will check better when I go to see it. I figure the lift to be worth about 500 so the cover, ski and trailer for 800 and spend that hopefully on repairs if needed.

Thread Information