Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

JetSki STX 1100-Suggestions?

So, I picked up a 1999 Jetski STX 1100 that was having a problem running. With a quick glance, I noticed the rubber hose from the exhaust to the waterbox had a hole in it, so I assumed the engine was starving for air. I replace the hose and started the engine. I ran it for a few minutes, only to notice the engine was overheating. The problem turned out to be that all of the waterlines were packed full of sand. I cleaned out or replaced all the waterlines, and it began to run at acceptable temperatures. I carefully ran it for a few hours, but it would top out at about 40 mph, which seemed a bit slow for an 1100. Once things reached this point, I began looking the entire machine over….only to notice that two bundles of wires in the back had laid on the very hot waterbox and melted them together. I’m not sure when the wires were cooked…if it was before I picked it up or was it during my test ride(but my test ride had temperatures at or below 113 degrees all over the engine)? Anyways….now the machine runs in rev limit mode and will not run correctly. I’ve rebuilt the carbs, checked compression(115 on each), and checked spark. What else could be going on here? I appreciate any suggestions out there.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Shredman!

Sounds like you may have a cylinder that's not firing. Run it and see if one of the cylinders feels cooler than the others. What do the plugs look like?

Don't forget to clean the stator cooling chamber under the oil pump.

What should I expect to find under the stator cover....other than a stator itself? Should the area be clean or greasy? I'll watch for broken or problematic wires, but specifically, is there anything in particular I am looking for visually?

+1
    Try blowing air through the hoses that provide cooling water to it. I've found a couple that were completely plugged up. If you can't blow through it, you'll probably find it full of mud/sand. If you take it off, you'll need to replace the 'O-rings' (one is not an O shape).

That is exactly what happened, but a while ago. I cleaned out or replaced all of those hoses, I even removed the cover under the oil pump and cleaned the 90 degree fittings. BUT, that's where I stopped. I have not removed the stator cover, for fear that I will not know how to handle what falls out of there.

+1
    You don't need to remove the stator cover to test it. Unplug it from the harness and do the resistance checks.

Nothing will fall out if you do remove it--except the 2 foot long O-ring that is hard to get back in place while working inside the 'Ski. It can be done by using some grease to hold it in place and working around the edges with a putty knife.

What could go wrong up there? I KNOW the cooling lines that ran up there were totally blocked with sand, so I'm sure the temperatures got way up there.

+1
    Not sure what actually fails, but it needs to be cooled.

Due to the excessive heat build up, that I know the ski experienced, and in light of rev limiter related issues...I have been reading about all the crazy problems people have experienced with these skis, and there appears to be a multitude of things that could be wrong. And, so I don't just begin replacing parts in random order; which electrical parts would you check and in which order?

+1
    I really don't know. I've heard the DI models have a lot of trouble with the ECM, but I don't know what typically goes wrong with the carb models.

I know that one 1100 I bought had a wiring harness that had gotten hot from rubbing on the exhaust system.

I'd suggest that you start with the resistance checks in the service manual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information