2005 GTX Fuel Pump Failed Question

My fuel pump failed this past weekend and I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with my recent x-model supercharger upgrade and new 40# injectors any thoughts?

Probably!

I changed out my injectors from OEM to VT1000's and second time out the pump failed. I think the extra flow demand at 60ish psi is too much for the stock pump.

Mine started to misfire at 4k then when I got back to ramp I couldn't achieve or hold any fuel pressure at all at prime. The pump just sounded weeer clunk, weeer clunk, weeer clunk.

I chose to go Aeromotive RIVA kit and as your ski is older I highly recommend it because the older ECU's need a relay to prevent the high amp demand errors and frying expensive bits. Riva kit is simple and has everything you need.

My failure was catastrophic shut down machine after high speed run and just wouldn't start, pump just quit, no noise no nothing just no fuel. Anyway the Riva kit is going for 279.95. Know anything about the Walbro upgrade? I see I can get that pump much cheaper but no relay. Supposedly bolt on and relay is not necessary. Thoughts experiences?

Btw my injectors are Bosh 42# not 40 as earlier stated.

There are a few different Aeromotive models and inlet / outlet configurations. That's not a problem I even think someone gave the exact part number somewhere on the forum. The issue I see it the billet adaptor that Riva supply to connect the new FP and secure it in place (has a v notch on it). Maybe you can find a solution around this but I didn't want to risk it failing and starving me of fuel in an instant at 70 plus mph!!!

Also for me with a suspension ski, taking it apart to fix FP is a ffffffkkkggg ROYAL PITA. So I did not want to risk having to re-open the hull again.

Walbro are used by many with both good and bad feedback. I personally read it as being better than OEM if you get a good one, but very poor reliabillity if you don't. Search forum.

So after all my research and reading (and not having pots of cash) I still chose Aeromotive and only as the Riva kit.

Correct, you can use a Walbro without relay as it draws less current. Not sure about the difference in flow rate though. Fitting relay is very simple though.

All good stuff, thanks for the input tornado34! I'm leaning toward the RIVA, but want to investigate a bit more and get my fuel pump out to see what's going on.

I get the 70 dollar eBay ones I've rebuilt about 12 units and have not seen a failure once. Just buy the one that is direct fit and has the 2 strainers

Thread Information