Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

04 GP1300R Throttle Hesitation

Hello Everyone!

I've done a lot of searching on this forum but can't find a true answer. I have a 04 Gp1300R with a throttle hesitation when ever the engine is below its powerband. Once I hit the throttle wide open from idle position the engine hesitates for a second before it takes off. The engine runs great otherwise.

Things done are:
    New spark plugs gapped to 1.0mm
    clean fuel strainer
    D plate with chip
    110 psi compression on all 3 cylinders
    No codes
    Premix 40:1 Amsoil

I've read a few threads saying this is normal for the 1300r's but I find that very hard to believe since this ski was one of the best back in the day. I've also read the not having chip will do this but I checked the chip and its good at 1kohms.

Thanks everyone.

I had the same problem but to a bigger extent to where after time it hesitated so much it stopped getting past 10 mph, if your up for it pull the carbs and check the reed valves then look over the carbs.

No carbs on a 2004 its a FI

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Extrnoa View Post
    I had the same problem but to a bigger extent to where after time it hesitated so much it stopped getting past 10 mph, if your up for it pull the carbs and check the reed valves then look over the carbs.
    1300r's are fuel injected. Thats the reason I bought a 1300r thinking I should have no problems with fuel/air ratios and throttle response.

this is a 2 stroke . i have never had one that popped right out of the hole, but the accelaration after you get on the pipe should be great. You have one with the powervalves. Those of us with the non PV models have even a bigger throttle choke.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by strokersquid View Post
    this is a 2 stroke . i have never had one that popped right out of the hole, but the accelaration after you get on the pipe should be great. You have one with the powervalves. Those of us with the non PV models have even a bigger throttle choke.
    I know 2 strokes don't have a powerful bottom end but it shouldn't hesitate for a second when I punch the throttle.The hesitation feels like an accelerator pump has gone out of a carb so I'm thinking the bottom end is super lean when I punch the throttle.
    I think I'm going to try a fuel controller and richen the # 2 pot which is the one that acts as an accelerator pump in a carb.

+1
    Have you checked the power valves movement?
    Why pre-mix? it will lean the air fuel.
    -that's a lot of oil at idle+ to gum up the plugs and PVs.

The 1300s are naturally tough to get rolling which is why the jetworks mod is a must.

+1
    I have a 2003 GP1300R modded. You shouldn't be gaping the spark plugs, the NGK BR8ES-11's come pre-gaped. Why would you go premix? I assume you will be fouling plugs a lot more now and run into lean problems like my buddy did when he converted to premix. Every GPR, new or old have a slight hesitation when you open throttle from idle, but that shouldn't be a concern because these skis are rockets, at least mine is. They are not tough, but if you are stock, i'd suggest a Solas impeller, pump stuffer, performance jet nozzle and Riva free flow exhaust for bottom end, what a difference it makes. A one second hesitation does not seem abnormal for these skis. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Nothing is wrong with your ski. Do you have a fuel injected vehicle? If so, same thing, you hit the gas and a very slight hesitation before acceleration, its common.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NEMESIS View Post
    I have a 2003 GP1300R modded. You shouldn't be gaping the spark plugs, the NGK BR8ES-11's come pre-gaped. Why would you go premix? I assume you will be fouling plugs a lot more now and run into lean problems like my buddy did when he converted to premix. Every GPR, new or old have a slight hesitation when you open throttle from idle, but that shouldn't be a concern because these skis are rockets, at least mine is. They are not tough, but if you are stock, i'd suggest a Solas impeller, pump stuffer, performance jet nozzle and Riva free flow exhaust for bottom end, what a difference it makes. A one second hesitation does not seem abnormal for these skis. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Nothing is wrong with your ski. Do you have a fuel injected vehicle? If so, same thing, you hit the gas and a very slight hesitation before acceleration, its common.
    I had to gap the plugs because I had to buy NGK BR8ES which are gapped from the factory at .030. The only difference from the NGK BR8ES-11's is the 11 means .040" gap. I am running premix because that is how the ski came when I bought it. I plan on switching back to oil injected. Yes I have driven many EFI vehicles and was also an Auto mechanic and they don't have a hesitation unless its a drive by wire set up. The hesitation is noticeable especially when you are screwing around and trying to suddenly power out of a corner or climbing up a wave. I would even say the hesitation would last up to 2 seconds. The ski is staying stock. I have ordered a Work intake grate and pump plug kit because I am having cavitation issues out of the hole.

I suppose being premix could lean the fuel mixture thus leaning the engine on idle, hence the hesitation. I was told buy a builder that the d plate will cause a hesitation because the exhaust is more free flowing which will lean out the engine on wide open throttle. I find that hard to believe because that's why the d plate is that shape and size....

Power valves all move properly. I checked them.

Thanks!

+1
    I have found the hesitation problem!! When I bought the ski it was premix. I reinstalled the stock oil injection pump and the ski runs great now!!!! The premix was making the fuel ratio lean causing the hesitation.

Thank You everyone for the input.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information