Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

RXP Catastrophic Failure

Ok, I posted before about a problem I was having, here's the entire story thus far. I bought a 2005 RXP with 149 hours on it. The guy told me that he couldn't verify weather or not the supercharger had ever been serviced/rebuilt. I called a Sea Doo dealer/service shop and asked the mechanic what he thought about it before I bought it. He told me to test drive it and get it up to or around top speed and if it sounded and ran fine I would probably be fine but, to bring it in to have the SC done right away. I tested it and got to 69MPH and it ran smooth. I bought it and immediately pulled it from the water and dropped it off at the shop for the rebuild of the SC. I rode it for 2 weeks and put about 7 or 8 hours on it and it seemed to be running perfectly. The other day I took it out on the lake for about an hour and a half when I started doing some half assed 180's (turn in one direction then quickly turn in another). After about 5 or 6 of these maneuvers the engine started bogging down and there was a grinding/rattling noise and I lost almost all power and the oil light came on so I immediately turned the machine off and waited about 10 minutes. I checked the oil which was fine and started the ski back up and it sounded the same and had now power and stalled while idling (only ran about 15-20 seconds) but the oil light didn't come back on. Then it wouldn't start up again, (labored cranking then no crank at all). I brought it back to the shop that I had the SC rebuild done at and he said that the SC was fine and I could come down and look at it to verify that all the bearings were fine and it was in working condition. He told me that "something must have come loose inside the engine" and he found copper and aluminum flakes in the oil. He also said that he couldn't tell me exactly what had happened inside the engine without taking it apart (which of course would be expensive). He said that I needed an engine rebuild which is a rebuilt engine from BRP and would cost about $4000 before labor. I asked him what he would do and he said he would try to get a used engine put in and that his shop doesn't install used parts, but he knows of another reputable shop that does and it would cost "half as much as getting a rebuilt one from BRP". I've only had the ski for about a month and haven't even made a payment on it yet. I picked the ski up for $4600 and immediately put $650 into it for the SC rebuild. I bought it from a private seller so there aren't any warranty options. I'm not sure what I should do. Any thoughts?

Man, it blows that you've been having problems. Honestly, I don't think there isn't much you can do. Although, having metal shavings in the engine is odd. Wonder where it could have been from. I don't think that there is much that you can do. You might have to eat this which really sucks.

+1
    The pittfalls of buying used from someone you do not know.. I think you might be SOL.

+1
    A friend of mine bought a 2007 RXT and rode it 4 hours and it dropped a valve. So he goes and finds a used 2007 motor in which the compression checkes out fine . So we go through motor and replace bearings ,seals , oil regulator, gaskets and rebuild supercharger with updated washers. Well now this motor has a oil pressure or crank case ventilation issue that we can't find. My advice to you is save the extra cash and buy a new motor.

+1
    $650 for a supercharer rebuild?? OUCH!!!

Really sucks, but either way you're about to dump a bunch of money, whether it's a used engine or new. I'm a fan of new, but then you've got over 9 grand into a 9 year old ski. Could have bought a nice 2010 or newer for that price.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    I'm betting the stainless steel flywheel bolts broke.

7. +1 by:

+1
    ^---- this.

Buy another ski my friend. Combine what you want from the two and part the rest. There's a good chance you'll make up your investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendog View Post
    A friend of mine bought a 2007 RXT and rode it 4 hours and it dropped a valve. So he goes and finds a used 2007 motor in which the compression checkes out fine . So we go through motor and replace bearings ,seals , oil regulator, gaskets and rebuild supercharger with updated washers. Well now this motor has a oil pressure or crank case ventilation issue that we can't find. My advice to you is save the extra cash and buy a new motor.
    What kind of crank case vent issue are u having?

FYI, E-surance has motor failure coverage. Buy a policy under an agreed upon value of ski, wait a month. Make a claim. You'll either get you money back out of the thing or be out of pocket your deductible and have a new motor....

Quote Originally Posted by ryntipton View Post
    FYI, E-surance has motor failure coverage. Buy a policy under an agreed upon value of ski, wait a month. Make a claim. You'll either get you money back out of the thing or be out of pocket your deductible and have a new motor....
    Too bad that is illegal. Fraud.

I wonder why insurance rates have went so high?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information