Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Single axle or Torsion? Triton

Decided to look for a single trailer. Managed to spot one on craigslist. Spoke with the trailer place and they mentioned it was not the Torsion axle model. And if indeed I wanted that option I would have to place the order next year! He said he was also unable to quote the price however a single trailer LTWI-TX would be around $1399. My question? Is this $950 a decent deal for a 3 month old trailer? Is there that much of a difference between the two (Single Axle VS Torsion)?

For Sale Link

http://houston.craigslist.org/fod/4625488220.html

Thanks!
    Last edited by K447; 08-28-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Fixed URL link

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Craigslist link not working for me.

I really prefer the torsion axle over the leaf spring suspension. The torsion axle rides so much quieter and provides a smoother ride than the rattle and shake of leaf springs.

The torsion axle also provides a built in dampener (shock absorber) so the trailer stops bouncing quickly after hitting a bump in the road.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	340061heres the screenshot. Thanks K447.

+1
    I have both and the torsion is a much better riding trailer. However, I am not sure if the increase cost is worth it. Most PWC are pretty light and spring axles do well in most cases. Personally, you can find a good used trailer for $300-400. No need for a new one. All is does is pull your toy anyway. Galvanized is the only way to go though.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    I have both and the torsion is a much better riding trailer. However, I am not sure if the increase cost is worth it. Most PWC are pretty light and spring axles do well in most cases.

Personally, you can find a good used trailer for $300-400. No need for a new one. All is does is pull your toy anyway.

Galvanized is the only way to go though.
    Galvanized for a steel trailer. The Triton is all aluminum. Not only is it lighter, but corrosion just isn't a worry.

Except for for the Seadoo Spark most modern PWC are moderately heavy, 800 pounds and up with fuel and whatever. A nice riding trailer makes the trip to and from the water that much nicer, especially on longer drives.

Triton has changed the model naming recently but the Elite series (or whatever it is called now) not only have torsion axle but all the nut and bolt hardware is stainless steel. On the base Triton model with leaf springs the bolts are plated steel.

There is, or was, a middle Triton model that has the torsion axle but not stainless steel hardware.

The Elite model is(was?) also longer overall. Longer tongue makes for easier towing and especially for reversing down the ramps. More room for trailer box, spare tire mount, etc.

The new Tritons have an improved winch mount system which is highly adjustable. The old version works well but the new dual slide design looks even nicer.

The Triton bunk supports are also well made and quite adjustable.

I recommend LED lighting on any trailer, there is no reason anymore to put up with old-school incandescent lamps. Even sealed bulbs will burn out or fail from vibration or whatever. Fully sealed LED lighting is the way to go.

On a typical used trailer the tires are old enough to justify immediate replacement, so factor that into the cost of buying used. That would be three new tires since the spare should also be replaced at the same time. My view is that trailer tires should be replaced after five years regardless of remaining tread. Trailer tires primarily degrade from exposure and age more than tread wear.
    Last edited by K447; 08-28-2014 at 07:23 PM.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Call Larry at (800) 858-4633. He's the Triton distributor and may have a new one in stock for you. When I was looking to buy my trailer, the PWC dealers were quoting me like $2600 for a double Triton Elite. But I called Larry and got it for $1995 + a document fee of (I think) $35. And from the looks of that Craig's List map, he is right in that same area...

+1
    I'll be in the market eventually for a Triton LTWCI-TX as well. I've seen this dealer in Houston listed on Craigslist and various other sites but always thought their prices were a little high.

I'd be very curious to know what Larry's price would be for the new Triton w/torsion axle. If you find out please let us know. He's only a 2.5 hour drive away for me and unfortunately no one (that I could find) in San Antone sells Triton PWC trailers.

DrivingZiggy: Appreciate the info!

+1
    I paid $950.00 for my Triton LT trailer brand new! it's the leaf spring model...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-09-01 09.46.08.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	340582

Banned User
    +1
    Torsion axle is nicer, and for me its a must on a double trailer, but for a single I don't think its that big of a deal. I have towed a few singles with spring axles and didn't really notice a difference

+1
    I think the tow vehicle makes a difference. I tow the single with torsion axle with thee Jetta on long trips. have towed both a leaf and the torsion axle. the torsion axle towed way smoother not as bouncy or seemed to not bounce the car around on bumpy roads. Pay the extra if towing with a car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information