Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

WFO sudden shut down

Was tearing around the lake today WOT with my brother on his FZS, doing 80ish and she suddenly shut down HARD. My first thought was I sheared the flywheel bolts but it never stalled out, and no codes or lights. 8700rpm to idle in 1 second but still ran and accelerated fine after. I kept it under 20mph back to the dock and not sure what happened. Did I almost get stuffed? Boost leak? Blown plug? Sucked up a duck? Any input appreciated

Mine is stock , but this has happened to mine a couple of times. My guess is that because I was in choppy water I was on, and off the throttle a lot going from no throttle to WFO rapidly, I'm thinking the ECU was briefly closing the throttle to prevent damage.

Just a guess though.

+1
    What air intake you running? Check to see if the intake hose has Sucked itself in closing of the air path...I've had a similar problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedXP View Post
    Was tearing around the lake today WOT with my brother on his FZS, doing 80ish and she suddenly shut down HARD. My first thought was I sheared the flywheel bolts but it never stalled out, and no codes or lights. 8700rpm to idle in 1 second but still ran and accelerated fine after. I kept it under 20mph back to the dock and not sure what happened. Did I almost get stuffed? Boost leak? Blown plug? Sucked up a duck? Any input appreciated
    Definitely need to check for plumage in the intake.

+1
    The 137-4 wheel is good for "15+psi" at 8500. This can't possibly be enough pressure to pull the intake plumbing inside out??

+1
    You said it "shut down" but you then said 8700 to idle....So engine never turned off?

I would check compressions asap to put that to rest. However, just before they stick the RPM drop off rapidly and not off like a light switch (like you were implying).

Could be TB issue.

+1
    Never heard such a thing happening.

Pull that motor and do your flywheel bolts, go open loop, install 70-145 charger...DONE!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedXP View Post
    The 137-4 wheel is good for "15+psi" at 8500. This can't possibly be enough pressure to pull the intake plumbing inside out??
    Translated...check your pump both sides make sure no signs of damage.

Lots of people running 137-4 wheel and never heard of that situation

+1
    It's obvious you have a serious speed addiction, think about coughing up for the Motec. Call it preventative maintenance....plus you would be able to look back at the logs right now and probably figure out what happen. Your flying a bit blind right now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    You said it "shut down" but you then said 8700 to idle....So engine never turned off?

I would check compressions asap to put that to rest. However, just before they stick the RPM drop off rapidly and not off like a light switch (like you were implying).

Could be TB issue.
    Yes 8700 to idle feels like shutdown @WFO but it didn't. Sorry for the confusion

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information