Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

New 2003 MSX 140 owner, low compression in one cylinder

So I had a post about looking at an MSX. I ended up getting it so I figured I would start a new thread.

I purchased this from the original owner who bought it new from our local dealer. The trailer has never left his road he said as they never had any problems with the ski.

As stated the ski is an 2003 MSX 140. It has 88.4 hrs on it. Its in pretty good shape. The silver has oxidized on the whole ski. A little fade on places with the maroon.

I knew this had low compression in the center cylinder which it does. Unfortunately the guy started it while I was looking at hull. I pulled the lanyard as fast as I could. So it started and ran. With my tester I had 120, 0, 120.

I took a picture of the spark plugs and the center is a different color the the mag and pto. He thought this happened because his kid ran it low on fuel. I have yet to start removing anything yet.

I will look at manual as to what needs to be removed to get at cylinder and piston.

Here are some pictures of the plugs, head(has a yellowish color on top) and the ski itself.

Any comments or helpful tips is welcomed thanks. EDIT: reverse doesnt work either. The handle moves freely but nothing else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	340071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX head.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	340072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX plugs.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	340073  
    Last edited by K447; 09-06-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Zero compression means the spark plug appearance doesn't matter much. The tear down inspection will tell the story.

You will need to remove the water manifold bar to take the cylinder head off.

Before you do anything else, check fuel pressure. If fuel pressure is near zero then the engine may simply have run lean.

You can check fuel pressure without starting the engine. Just slide a thin needle alongside the brown wire at the fuel pump connector to make contact inside, then ground that Brown wire. Fuel pump should run and you can measure fuel pressure at the Schrader valve tee.

Side note, the winch stand and bow roller look incorrectly configured. Bow roller should be above the bow eye, just under the front lip of the hull.

+1
    Well the reason the reverse doesn't work is because its broken. It appears the reverse lock arm is what is broken if this is the part that has the spring in the end. My guess was it was jammed and they forced it and it broke into 2 parts. I also notice that the part is no longer available new. Is this part included in the reverse assembly if I was to buy a used one? Today I will look for a fuel pressure tester and try that tonight when I get home from work if time allows. Also whats the best method to removed the oxidation on silver. I tried real quick some 3M rubbing compound by hand. It didn't come out too good. Under the seat the hull is very smooth and shiny which I would like to get the rest of hull back to.

Banned User
    +1
    Power buffer. You may need to start with a more aggressive compound and finish it with a fine compound.

+1
    CEN plug looks like it's coated in aluminum... so I'd bet you holed a piston. I've seen this on both a 1200 (carb'ed) and a 750.

If you did... you might consider a more thorough breakdown of the engine so you can clean out the crank bearings from all the tiny aluminum bits that end up in the lower case below the holed piston... instead of just slapping another piston on it and calling it good.

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Zero compression means the spark plug appearance doesn't matter much. The tear down inspection will tell the story.

You will need to remove the water manifold bar to take the cylinder head off.

Before you do anything else, check fuel pressure. If fuel pressure is near zero then the engine may simply have run lean.

You can check fuel pressure without starting the engine. Just slide a thin needle alongside the brown wire at the fuel pump connector to make contact inside, then ground that Brown wire. Fuel pump should run and you can measure fuel pressure at the Schrader valve tee.

Side note, the winch stand and bow roller look incorrectly configured. Bow roller should be above the bow eye, just under the front lip of the hull.
    So I went to napa and got a fuel pressure tester and I heard the pump fire up but the gauge read 0. Its real low on fuel. Fuel did come out when making connections at schrader valve. Looks like its time to dig into the gas tank too. Now to rip into the cylinder.

+1
    UPDATE: so I got the fuel injectors off and removed the center head. Why is the center yellow? The injector leaking? No hole in cylinder but it has some damage. I have a new oem piston on the way. Most likely need to send cylinder out to us chrome.

Name:	MSXhead.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	340369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSXcylinder2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	340370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSXpiston.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	340371  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Looks like the center fuel injector is leaking somewhere. Might be at the tiny o-rings on the fuel hose connections or it could be the internal seals inside the injector. These are replaceable, not sure if I ever posted up the MacMaster-Carr part numbers for the internal Ficht injector seals

+1
    The head took some damage from debris. Best place to get some good used parts. Does John Zigler stock parts for this. Had good luck dealing with him in the past. Ebay seems to have parts available too.

Name:	MSX dome.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	340372  

+1
    i have a few spares if interested

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information