+1

Triton WC2-2: how to add a third bunk set?

Is it possible to add a third set of bunks up front sideways and put a stand up ski on the Triton WC2-2?

I can't find any pics or threads addressing this as a possibility?

Eddie

Last edited by K447; 03-21-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Thread title

+1
    bump

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 12timeworldchamps View Post
    Is it possible to add a third set of bunks up front sideways and put a stand up ski on the Triton WC2-2?

I can't find any pics or threads addressing this as a possibility?

Eddie

I have toyed with the idea of cantilevering a sideways bunk set behind the main trailer frame. The main winch towers and hulls would need to shift forward to minimize rear overhang and maintain tongue weight.

The Triton dual axle frame seems to have more beef than the single axle version. Max weight limit is much higher (when configured with trailer brakes) so the frame itself must be stronger to have the rating.

That would allow enough room for extension arms extending back from under (or beside) the main trailer frame rails.

Sideways bunks would need to be just barely lower to not snag the sit down hulls when they launch. Since the trailer is at an angle on the launch ramp the rear of the hulls should float over the cross bunks if you get it configured just so.

Back down the ramp, float off the stand-up watercraft. Back farther down the ramp, float off the big machines.

+1
    Thanks for your thoughts. My dealer and i were thinking of putting bunks up front. Instead of the diamond plate storage box and gas can racks, put a super-jet on bunks there. I hope this works!

Eddie

+1
    Thanks for your thoughts. My dealer and i were thinking of putting bunks up front. Instead of the diamond plate storage box and gas can racks, put a super-jet on bunks there. I hope this works!

Eddie
    Adding bunks across the front of the trailer is certainly the common approach.

Think about how far you will need to back the trailer down the launch ramp to float the superjet off. If you are not going to float it off then you are going to be carrying it, or muscling it around somehow onto the main bunks.

Many launch ramps are limited in how far the ramp extends under the water, so there may be issues with dropping the trailer wheels off the deep end of the ramp and getting the trailer stuck. Also think about how deep in the water the tow vehicle will need to be in order to float the standup hull.

While the Triton dual axle frame is sturdy, the narrow forward portion is the least stiff. Think about side to side wobble of the standup's weight when the trailer hits road bumps at speed. There will be a twisting stress on the bunk mounting to the frame and the trailer frame itself as the trailer twists and shakes. The cross bunks will act like a teeter-totter so the mounting and bracing needs to withstand the forces involved.

These are some of the reasons I am leaning towards the rear mounted frame extension arrangement for a sideways standup bunk configuration. Especially with the Triton WC2-2 as the starting point.

+1
    I hear your concerns too. I really want all skis on one trailer, don't want to mess with two trailers... Getting the standup deep enough to float off is my main concern. One of my sitdowns is a two seater. So mabe mounting the stand up bunks almost at a 45 degree angle may be an option. This may assist in floating it off.

Eddie

+1
    I hear your concerns too... Getting the standup deep enough to float off is my main concern...

Eddie
    Putting the additional bunks across the back would allow you to have a storage box mounted up front

Another option might be to extend the tongue and mount the extra bunks inline with the tongue. That would keep the weight centered and the standup can fit between the bow winches of the main bunks. The tongue extension would need to be sturdy.

Thread Information