Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help first time going on salt water "flushing system"

Well I decided to take my spark out to San Diego bay around Coronado island, what I'm afraid is I need to flush it, to get rid of the salt water in the system..

They also rent out skis for $99 an hour, what do you guys think? Take my spark, flush it out, or just rent one?

+1
    Take it and flush it..Also take off the battery access panel and the oil fill access cap and spray everything with a high quality anti corrosive spray, then when done riding take those 2 caps back off and spray everything down with water... Just dont get water into the airbox opening.. Salt-A-Way or Salt Terminator is your friend!!

+1
    I did not buy the flush kit I was able to hold the hose and push my hand in over the flush line and run the ski then sprayed the engine down. I left the access cover off over night aswell. It works well for me. I only ran in salt twice I did that the second time because I got home late. The first time I just ran it in the lake for a half hour, I took the access cover off for a few minutes to let air in. Not the proper way but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by dolson View Post
    I did not buy the flush kit I was able to hold the hose and push my hand in over the flush line and run the ski then sprayed the engine down. I left the access cover off over night aswell. It works well for me. I only ran in salt twice I did that the second time because I got home late. The first time I just ran it in the lake for a half hour, I took the access cover off for a few minutes to let air in. Not the proper way but it worked.
    3 questions:

1. How soon after riding do you have to flush it? Can I wait till I get back or ASAP?

2. What's the reason in taking the engine/battery access panel off? And leaving it off overnight?

3. What anti corrosion sprays do you guys suggest and where can I get one?

+1
    3 questions:

1. How soon after riding do you have to flush it? Can I wait till I get back or ASAP?

Flush as a practically possible EG when you get home couple of hours no worries if I plan to go out next day don't bother until then

2. What's the reason in taking the engine/battery access panel off? And leaving it off overnight?

Take engine cover off to get a good access with hose on light spray hose down all over engine aim down the back and front and up top and do same at oil cover to back end don't get water in air inlet I put a rag in it to stop it BUT make sure you take it out before starting it up

3. What anti corrosion sprays do you guys suggest and where can I get one?

Just flush with plan water is best I have see photos of guys that ride in fresh water and not flush and look worse that any salt ski in salt.
    just any lanion based product as it cover good and sticks to the metal and plastic parts and helps water not penetrate
    Any product that can do the same will be fine

4 just go ride have fun

+1
    I ride in the SF Bay Area all the time. BUY the flush hose connector and flush it immediately after use and wash your ski with automotive mild soap and use a home pressure nozzle sprayer. Also wash down the trailer, if you dont have galvanized parts on trailer, they will corrode and rust in no time.

+1
    Here is a photo from my Honda exhaust manifold with 400hrs on it just plan tape water no chemicals and no corrosion 100% salt use
    Just flush it don't over think it 2 mins and you done

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honda exhaust manifold.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	340197

Ok guys, thanks for everyone's help, I finally had the guts to ride out on the Pacific Ocean, it was breath taking, IM ADDICTED NOW!! Will try to do that all the time! Here's some pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	340263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	340264  

9. +1 by:

+1
    great photos go enjoy it

+1
    Glad you enjoyed it. There allot of fun. I took mine out twice once to Newport Ri then went to the providence river through the city. The other run was to Martha's vinyard. I leave my side cover off just to let it air out after I spray inside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information