1994 Sl 650 Polaris. Carburetor spitting water.

Hey.
    I got a 94 sl 650 that is spitting water out of number three carb in the back. Just bought this yesterday and i know a little bit about them but not enough. it runs but has been sitting for about 9 years or so. im about to update the fuel pump and all the carbs and make sure its not in a lean state when i go out. any help would be grateful. i just hope the crank case and all is full of water since it has sat outside all then years, it also has 130 psi in all three cylinders so it cant be because the block isnt cracked. thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There should be zero water inside the engine crankcase and therefore no water spitting up the carburetor intake(a).

My initial guess
    is that the intake reeds are damaged (allowing air/water to flow backwards out of the engine air intake) and the crankcase probably has liquid water inside. If the water has been sitting in there for more that a few hours that means the crankshaft and bearings are probably rusted, in which case the engine likely must be rebuilt.

There is very low chances of the engine staying together for very long at 6000+ RPM if the crank/bearings are rusted.

Did you connect the engine to a garden hose for cooling while testing or did you test with the hull floating in water?

No hoses or anything has been hooked up and this is water that has found its way into the engine from sitting outside in the weather. It cranks over just fine and nothing is rusted or locked up.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunker90 View Post
    ... this is water that has found its way into the engine from sitting outside in the weather.

It cranks over just fine and nothing is rusted or locked up.
    Well, either it has significant rust inside or it doesn't.

My suggestion is to remove the carburetors and the intake manifold so you can remove the reed cages. Then you can look inside the crankcase and inspect the visible crank surfaces. Turn the engine over by hand so you can see the roller bearings through the oiling slots.

And inspect the intake reeds for damage, of course.

If you detect no signs of internal rust then rebuilding the carburetors and upgrading the fuel pump seems like a good start. Replace all the fuel hoses and filters too.

More info via my signature links.

Well that's where I'm going to start at. If I need anything else I will be sure to ask you. Seems like you know what your talking about. Thanks alot

Thread Information