Angry 2004 GTX Oil Issue

Ok, so... Let's start this from the beginning. I bought the ski from a guy who took pretty good care of it. The first time I took it out I got a warning tone and a code of P-1202 after 15 minutes or so of running. Awesome not too bad. I found out that the previous owner changed out the OPS on the back lower side of the motor. So I changed out the one that was on the front. Took the ski out and it happened again. I looked into it more and it said look at the T.O.P.S blow-by valve. I did and it makes the click when you put the key on and everything. Could it be clicking but still malfunctioning? Also, I noticed some oil slicks on my driveway when rinsing out the hull of my ski. I checked the oil and it is between the humps but just on the lower end. Should I check it after it has cooled down a bit and see if it goes back up? Another thing Is, could there be a very common area that would cause a slow oil leak? Like maybe a plug or a gasket that typically goes bad? Thanks in advance!

Tyler

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tp081234 View Post
    Ok, so... Let's start this from the beginning. I bought the ski from a guy who took pretty good care of it. The first time I took it out I got a warning tone and a code of P-1202 after 15 minutes or so of running. Awesome not too bad. I found out that the previous owner changed out the OPS on the back lower side of the motor. So I changed out the one that was on the front. Took the ski out and it happened again. I looked into it more and it said look at the T.O.P.S blow-by valve. I did and it makes the click when you put the key on and everything. Could it be clicking but still malfunctioning? Also, I noticed some oil slicks on my driveway when rinsing out the hull of my ski. I checked the oil and it is between the humps but just on the lower end. Should I check it after it has cooled down a bit and see if it goes back up? Another thing Is, could there be a very common area that would cause a slow oil leak? Like maybe a plug or a gasket that typically goes bad? Thanks in advance!

Tyler
    Your oil level should be in the middle of the indents when hot, it will drop when it cools. It sounds like it's low.
    As for a common leak point, I would imagine that if the bottom O-ring on the oil filter cap went bad or was damaged during reinstallation it could be leaking.

Are you talking about on the top underneath the head of the bolt or on the underside of the cap? It's a small and slow leak if there is actually a leak or maybe burning some off? Is that possible?

+1
    The sealing edge of the cap that mates with the housing. Many here replace the o-rings when they change the oil. I always clean the housing really good after an oil change, so I can run my finger around the housing later to see if it has a leak.

Well, I'll check that out. I've never noticed oil there before but then again, I wasn't paying much attention to it.

Ok, no oil leak from the filter housing cap. I did see a tiny bit of oil on the bottom of the PTO housing but I wouldn't think that would cause my oil to drop a lot. Next think I noticed was pressure behind the dipstick when I pulled it out. It was quite a bit from running it for about 3 minutes on the hose. After I pulled it there was some smoke/steam like stuff coming from the tube. Wasn't sure which it was. Any ideas?

+1
    if the tops valve ( oil shut off) is not working correctly you will have pressure build up in the crank case
    and the pressure switch should have gave the tops error
    if the valve is not working oil can be pushed out of the crankcase
    the valve is a solenoid and you should here it click when its working
    it has two seals that can break/stick shut
    the switch (sensor) can go bad
    but that does not make the oil disappear
    Last edited by skidoochris; 09-07-2014 at 07:40 AM.

The TOPS valve does click when I put the key in the post. I had already changed the OSPS sensor a little over a month ago. Can the TOPS sensor click and still not function correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    if the tops valve ( oil shut off) is not working correctly you will have pressure build up in the crank case
    Could there be enough pressure built up that it is forcing some oil out somewhere? Is it possible that if I replace the valve the pressure would not be built up and then I may not have a leak?

Thread Information