+1

FZR SVHO intermittent issue with no throttle response

Hey guys,

14 FZR with 65 hours, only mod is an air intake. Last few times I've been out it seems to have developed a intermittent problem where if I am cruising at a steady speed for some time and go to give it throttle it just falls flat on its face. When I release the throttle and hit it again it seems to go normally. It's happened 7-10 times in the last 2 rides. No warning lights and nothing else seems out of the ordinary. I'm assuming this uses an electronic throttle system and hasn't changed from the older FZR models. I'm hoping someone else has experienced this or has any ideas?

+1
    Buddy's FZS had same issue. Ended up being reverse switch. Kinda threw it in limp mode when doing full throttle runs and pulling tube. Letting off and hitting throttle again fixed it temporarily. Dealer replaced switch and all is well. Maybe your issue.

+1

FZR SVHO intermittent issue with no throttle response

Quote Originally Posted by Boogzilla View Post
    Hey guys,

14 FZR with 65 hours, only mod is an air intake. Last few times I've been out it seems to have developed a intermittent problem where if I am cruising at a steady speed for some time and go to give it throttle it just falls flat on its face. When I release the throttle and hit it again it seems to go normally. It's happened 7-10 times in the last 2 rides. No warning lights and nothing else seems out of the ordinary. I'm assuming this uses an electronic throttle system and hasn't changed from the older FZR models. I'm hoping someone else has experienced this or has any ideas?
    Out of curiosity were you cruising in cool water compared to the outside temp?

I've had that exact same thing happen to me several times over the years and its only occurred under distinct conditions. First the water has to be much cooler than the outside temp. Secondly you have to be cruising below boost levels for periods of time. My guess is that your IC may be condensing a small amount of water and its collecting in the bottom of the charge pipe. Once you come out of a cruise and hit the gas the water gets ingested into the engine (it will stall) and once cleared the ski will run fine. If it’s happening all the time I would suggest that your IC core may be leaking, but under the conditions you described being only after a cruise I’m betting it may be condensation.
    Last edited by nashvegas; 09-02-2014 at 12:57 PM.

+1
    The reverse switch sounds like a possibility, a few of the times it happened after I had stopped and kept myself positioned with the reverse lever. Might have to check and make sure the bucket is properly lifting all the way.

As for the temps, they have been pretty steady all season but when I noticed the fault the water was probably around 18C/65F and the air temp was 26C/79F with humidity 35C/95F

+1
    I have had a similar thing on a mates ski
    And it was water down the plug holes
    It had to be hot before it started to play up

Water down the spark plug holes huh? I wonder what the heat had to do with the issue. does/did he have his coil greased on top seal and also on the stem?

+1
    Only after he found the fault
    I suspect the heat was when the water turned to steam

8. +1 by:

Thread Information