Question Advice: 2000 Sportster LE Purchase

Hello,

I have been lurking here for a while and finally think I will pull the trigger. I am going to take a look at this 2000 Sportster LE in the next day or two.

I am just wondering what I should be taking a look at when purchasing and what questions to ask? I don't know too much about boats but am very much into cars. I have happened upon this boat through a friend so am looking to see if I should purchase the boat now?

This will be my first boat as I have always wanted one. He is asking $5900CAD but has offered to trade with a vehicle I am selling for $5000CAD so I know he will go at least that low.

Is this a good price? Would anyone be able to offer some advice? I can ask him to offer some money along with his boat to trade for my vehicle if anybody thinks this price is too high.

This is the how he has posted his boat:

2000 Seadoo Speedster 951cc LE
    Excellent condition with brand new interior, rebuilt motor, new bottom, fuel lines, throttle cable and more.
    Comes with boat trailer and cover.
    Serviced by ***Removed Local Marine Shop***

I have attached 10 pictures of the boat in the following gallery: http://imgur.com/a/nqVhc

+1
    I personally would not buy the fuel injected 951 motor. Save your money and buy seadoo with a 4tec motor.

Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    I personally would not buy the fuel injected 951 motor. Save your money and buy seadoo with a 4tec motor.
    Would you be able to provide some reasons why? Or the major pros to getting one with the newer motor?

And thanks for the reply

It's not fuel injected. All sportsters pre 2004 were carbed. 2004 and later 951 boats were DI. Don't worry about this one. As long as the hours are low, it has been maintained, and has good compression it should be a good boat. The pros of a 4tec engine is less maintenance and fewer break-downs, but the cons are when it does break it usually needs to go to the dealer. If you are good with a wrench get the 2 stroke. Much easier and user friendly to work on.

+1
    Buy a reliable Speedster 150 without the supercharger, they run forever with trouble free, sometimes you would see a few salt one for sale on ebay for just a bit more coins.

Quote Originally Posted by MLars View Post
    It's not fuel injected. All sportsters pre 2004 were carbed. 2004 and later 951 boats were DI. Don't worry about this one. As long as the hours are low, it has been maintained, and has good compression it should be a good boat. The pros of a 4tec engine is less maintenance and fewer break-downs, but the cons are when it does break it usually needs to go to the dealer. If you are good with a wrench get the 2 stroke. Much easier and user friendly to work on.
    So is that a don't worry about this one get it if its maintained or don't get it. Motor was rebuilt and has 50 hours on the rebuild. He had replied to me with some more information about the boat including compression. I've pasted his response below.

Quote Originally Posted by ken02766 View Post
    Buy a reliable Speedster 150 without the supercharger, they run forever with trouble free, sometimes you would see a few salt one for sale on ebay for just a bit more coins.
    What year should I look for in these? Post 2004? Also can a speedster 150 pull someone on a wakeboard/a ski?

Owners Response for more information:
    I have had the boat for 3 yrs now.
    My was all over me to get one. We enjoyed it for a coupe of years but now no one is enjoying it and to busy too.
    Last year I put over 5k into the boat.
    The motor was verified by Marlon marine that it was rebuilt with 142/137 compression. Roughly 50 hrs ( previous owner did top end rebuild )
    951cc single engine 120 hpr
    I had the bottom end jet pump rebuilt, new carbs, new fuel lines, new throttle cable, new electronic control fuse, village pump, new battery, new ignition coils, steering housing and complete cooling system cleaned out and de mineralized.
    Interior was professionally done in marine grade uv stable vinyl.
    Which was over 2000k
    Hull is in fantastic shape no cracks and super clean.
    Has a factory seadoo canvas cover.
    Newer ez- loader aluminium trailer with new tires and bearing buddies.
    All the boating necessities come with the boat- life jackets, fire extinguisher, anchors etc
    Holds 6 adults comfortably, 15ft long 5ft wide, does 55 mph top end
    Its a great fantastic boat that has all the work done to it and ready to be enjoyed.

These motors run for around 200 hours before something goes wrong, usually more in the boats since they are not getting constantly jumped like the xp and gsx. 50 hours is a good number because it shows that the engine has survived break in and will probably last for a while and also doesn't have too many hours. For a 2 stroke go with a 2003 or earlier. For the 4tec pretty much any year is a good one. If you get a supercharged one make sure it has the metal washers and not the ceramic ones since those break apart and eat the motor alive. I think the early ones had exhaust valve problems but it was somewhat rare. And yes the 155hp 4tec sportster will comfortably pull a slalom skier up to 200lbs I would say.

Looking at the pictures it looks like a salt water boat. If it is I would stay away from it.

+1
    The salt boat sucks, all the screws would corrode and rust up.

Thread Information