Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

The Hornetís Nest: 2015 Yamaha VXR WaveRunner

Were Yamaha to simply carry over its 2014 lineup for 2015, many would have little reason to complain. The introduction of the SVHO (Super Vortex High Output) 1.8L powerplant and accompanying 160mm pump setup was enough to place the brand with the tuning forks in the top podium position in all four major runabout classes in the Pro Watercross Tour this year (Pro Open, Pro Limited, Pro Stock and Naturally-Aspirated).

The SVHO-propelled FX even managed to lead the pack during much of this year's grueling KaruJet and Russki Grand Prix offshore championships. So, why bother introducing anything more than new paint and graphics for 2015?

The answer is the VXR. At the exclusive press intro of the 2015 Yamaha WaveRunner lineup, it was almost an unspoken fact that the VXR – and the entirely-revamped VX Series subsequently – was the focus of Yamaha’s attention.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 09-03-2014 at 07:30 AM.

+1
    That black and yellow color scheme looks really nice on it.

+1
    I think you'll find Ugo Fidelin on a Kawi won Karujet overall, Teddy Pons Yami broke. He was doing really well (winning) till then.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I think you'll find Ugo Fidelin on a Kawi won Karujet overall, Teddy Pons Yami broke. He was doing really well (winning) till then.
    You're exactly right. Thank you. The article has been corrected accordingly.

+1
    Okay, so I finally read the article. It appears the line is being blurred between the FX and VXR. Looks like pretty much the only difference these days is that the FX has tilt handle bars. Maybe a small difference in hull?

Okay, so since you've been on it, Kevin, give us a comparison: What are the differences? Is it still "FX in the rough, VXR in the smooth?"

+1
    Personally, I still have a sweet spot in my heart for the FX SVHO, Ziggy. Yet, that being said...

The FX can gobble up chop a lot better than the '15 VXR, but again, that's really not the new VXR's intent. While Yamaha wouldn't admit to it, it was an unspoken inclination that the VXR would replace the FZ series in a few years (as we can expect Yamaha to hang onto this new VX platform for another decade, as it did the outgoing hull).

The VXR is a scalpel. It's light, quick and precise. Adding an aftermarket turbo or supercharger (or an eventual SVHO-model likely to appear in a year or two) will prove the new VXR hull as a true contender on the closed course. Dean Charrier hinted that future Dean's Team Open class boats will almost all be modified VXRs.

The "blurring" between FX and VX are in aesthetics and amenities. The 1,100cc plant in the VX doesn't produce the necessary oomph to really reveal what the new hull can accomplish. Only the 1.8L peels back that curtain, and we can only imagine what the SVHO package will show us. Yes, the bigger pump setup will fit the VXR as well (again, reportedly).

This is a boat to be excited about. I'm sure once Jerry gets his grubby hands on one, all of Greenhulk will be aflutter.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks! I just tried to +1 you, but I guess that function is not working again.

But that is the information I was looking for; I didn't know the other differences. I thought that with more "V" in the hull it might be encroaching into FX territory.

ugh was decided on an FX and now I'm hearing the VX could be more fun.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by etl330 View Post
    Again, I personally love the new FX SVHO (non-cruiser), but the VXR is so dang fun on flat water that it's hard to peel the smile off of your face after half an hour on it. It really all depends on your riding style and intended use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etl330 View Post
    Again, I personally love the new FX SVHO (non-cruiser), but the VXR is so dang fun on flat water that it's hard to peel the smile off of your face after half an hour on it. It really all depends on your riding style and intended use.
    how rough does it need to be for the FX to shine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information