Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

07 RXP randomly shuts down, no anything.. Help!

It seems as though I have a demon in my ski..
    The last few times I've had it out after about an hour or more of riding the ski will randomly shut off, has done it at all RPMs except for WOT, yet. The ski will turn off and the screen will go blank.. Key will randomly work again after waiting or many tries, I thought for a little while that it was possibly a bad ground on the battery and always snugged it up but this last time out I realized it was something more complicated than that because I tightened and tightened with the key on and nothing.. The ski will also randomly turn back on after a few tries with the key or a 5-10-15 minute stand still.. This last time out really has me scratching my head as the ski did the same thing (randomly shut off) but upon getting started up again it idled a little high 2200-2300 rpms. I started to idle back to shore and after a minute or two it felt like it was getting too much fuel or choking out and the motor would die, and screen go blank.. I would wait, wait and wait.. Try the key a few times and finally when it started back up I got on the gas, ski ran fine, afr's normal.. When I got close to the dock, let off, idled for a minute or so and bam.. Shuts down again.. Waited and waited, it started up after many tries with the key, idled it to the trailer and took it home.. Starts right up and runs fine every time on the trailer.. I have no idea what this could be and am afraid to keep taking it out as sometimes I ride pretty far and don't want to get stranded.. The ski has mods listed below plus a few but no fuel work other than 42s and afr gauge, and no ecu work.. Chis (Slow 91) rebuilt my motor at about 420 hours and the thing has run like a top ever since, now 540 hours, ski still looks new as Chris and some others can attest to, I have babied this ski, not one spot of rust/corrosion

anyone ever have these symptoms? I've searched and couldn't find these same symptoms.. The motor and mechanics of the ski feel fine, it seems like some sort of electrical demon.. Thanks in advance for your help

TJ

+1
    Maybe the DESS post wiring, or the key itself? Water or corrosion in fuse panel?

+1
    im with BOOM

+1
    Can't be the key.. It doesn't turn on with the L key either.. But then will randomly work with either.. DESS post wouldn't cause the 2200 idle rpm though.. I am going to go through my fuses, I can assure that there is no corrosion in there, it is checked often and everything is like new.. Dielectric grease on all connections.. My ski still has a new smell inside the hull, seat is left off and hood propped in my garage after every ride, and I should have bought stock in CRC 656

I will add that these symptoms only happen after an hour or so of riding and last time it happened I put the L key in and after a few times, it worked, so I quickly pulled it and put the regular key in and the dash still flashed "L key" upon start up with the regular key.. So I hit stop, pulled the key, put it back in and it worked fine.. Something weird is going on.. ECU fried? Any way to tell?

+1
    Dess post, change it

+1
    If it's the DESS post what causes the 2200 rpms when the key starts to work?

+1
    you may have more than one problem, but your random shut off is a typical of the magnet failing in the dess post. I'm sure you've checked all your plugs and grounds already. I would start with the dess post as I personally have had the exact problem. I never let it progress far enough to notice a higher idle, once it started failing it was swapped out.

+1
    If it is in fact the DESS post, why has it only happened when ski is in the water and only after an hour or more of riding? I feel like something may be getting wet or hot? Any options other than spending 300+ new for a DESS post or splicing one in? I guess I could go used for that part of the harness..

TPS sensor for the high idle? Could my voltage regulator have anything to do with these symptoms?

+1
    voltage regulator would throw a 12v high or low code. DESS post doesn't need to be spliced in, you remove the old post down at the connector and install the new one. I think you should check the 12v relay off the side of the fuse panel like we talked about. I had a ski with THE EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS, same year as your ski too.

Hi I just had this same problem with my 2006 RXT 215. I changed my dess post, cleaned up the battery connections and sand blasted the starting solenoid connections and the problem never happened again. Do these three things and I can almost guarantee that your problem will be fixed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information