Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking 300x

Smoking 300x

So all of you guys Ed ( spooling) included have probably changed your own exhaust filters...I have too..think I'm on my 4th one with 113hrs. on my '12 300x.

So my friend with a '11 300x was coming to ride with me this weekend and was going to meet me at one of the close by islands...never shows...get a call he is broke down and called sea tow...(good thing the wifey was not with him).

So in his message he said he was crusing along at 60 and the ski shut down...no alarms...just died..took off seat and billowing smoke came pouring out, he thought the ski was on fire.

Once back on the trailer we wanted to see what happened to his ski....only 65hrs. and 1 exhaust filter change at 25hrs.

Well the exhaust hose from the water box to the exhaust port looked like it was blown apart and was looked like someone had cut it for a cross section...hence the smoke.

So I'm betting the exhaust filter blew out and stuck in the hose and destroyed it...

So we all lay down and let mother Kawasaki stick us with this POS filter that my dealer now states needs to be changed every 25hrs. the dealer told me he did 8 exhaust filters last week.

My bud is pissed and cannot believe he is stuck with $140 in parts...(filter..3 gaskets) plus what ever labor is going to be charged. he has NO time to work on this ski and only is a rec rider. EVERY 25 HRS.

So come on Kawasaki..design a fix for this POS filter...why not a single piece filter with nothing to blow out!
    Last edited by Kawabunga; 09-02-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: adding text

I edited my post to ask if there's a way to design it not to clog or blow out, it seems to be stainless already
    Last edited by slope; 09-02-2014 at 12:30 PM.

+1
    The new and now standard filter has a hole in it for less heat build up for replacement for 300/310s but some have posted filter deterioration and break up even with the hole in in the middle...

Bad tig welding by Kawasaki ,seems to be a real weak link in their design no matter how much you flush out your exhaust and WB at the end of the day..

Wonder how many filters went bad in fresh water use only skis

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    what TIG welding are you talking about..........

every on of my filters has lasted min 60 hrs

1 of them in my old 2012 is still going at 100+ hrs

100 % saltwater

every 25hr for failing filters is owner operator lack of attention more than anything !!!!!!!!!

+1
    I guess he could add the pin like many others

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    what TIG welding are you talking about..........

every on of my filters has lasted min 60 hrs

1 of them in my old 2012 is still going at 100+ hrs

100 % saltwater

every 25hr for failing filters is owner operator lack of attention more than anything !!!!!!!!!
    Ive never had filter failure either ,I've just put my third one in out of preventive maintenance and all 100% salt water..
    im talking about that small 1in. welding on only one side on the top and bottom ,from the pics I've seen just pieces of the honeycomb or the whole piece..

This issue has been debated whether owner negligence or poor design..

Sorry Sir but 25hrs is a bad design and does give good reason for Kawa haters to gloat a little I have to admit...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	340365  

There's tons of discussion about this filter, the most interesting one is the guy that fogs (plugs out) his ski after every run, mainly for this issue

+1
    the welding has never been a real issue, the issue is the element separating from the sleeve!!

+1
    Here's another thing..

Why would the Kawa engineers change the design of the filter after only 2 yrs to make less restrictive UNLESS their was a flaw in the original design and way way to many complaints from customers and Kawa having to honor warranties ..

Dont be surprised in the 2015 or 2016 they redesign it again as it's purpose in the exhaust manifold is still a good idea..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post

Wonder how many filters went bad in fresh water use only skis
    I'm at 98 hrs on the original. Still hasn't failed yet.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information