Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

701 runs fine until you jump...then...

So I took my waveblaster 1 out to the surf. The machine is new to me and ran PERFECT at the lake.

It's a 61X, RD pipe, silver Mikuni SBN and that's all.

At the lake I rolled it over and over and it never missed a beat. After I started jumping it in the surf...she would start misfiring BAD on the forward plug. I went back to shore, swapping in a good plug and it ran great till I jumped a massive wake.

It would get so bad that she would ONLY idle. Giving it gas would not kill it...it just wouldn't move.

Put it on the trailer and checked compression. Still perfect at 150 in each bucket. After that I took it to the surf the next day and it was perfect...until the first jump.

Wierd how it was fine in the lake but not in the surf. Perhaps the two are unrelated but I wonder if anyone with a 701 has had these symptoms. I have another 701 to toss in it and a ignition box but I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Jason

+1
    Are you the dude we helped change plugs at crab island? I pondered on that one all day... plugs looked way to clean to be having problems.

LOL. No bro. I was at Shell island in Panama City beach

+1
    Some dude that said he was from PCB was at crab island having the same problem and i helped him dry out his plugs with my zippo and swapped his plugs front to back and got him running...

+1
    Try removing spark plug cap from wire and trimming some back to get to fresh wire and reinstall. Also check plug wires for cracks, etc. May be shorting out. Sometimes you can use a mist spray bottle in the dark and see if its arcing...or run your hands around the wires

Well last night I changed out the coil and wires and removed the temp sensor from the equation.

Also...compression is still a nice 150psi. She fires up IMMEDIATELY but hits a rev limiter at the smallest bit of throttle.

Today I'm pulling the waterbox. I wonder if it's plugged up. All the jumping could have fucked it up.

After that I'm swapping in a known good CDI and carb from a running 701.

Will report back.

7. +1 by:

Not wanting to thread jack here but are you two from the destin/panama city area? Moveing there in march looking for a few ride buddies.

+1
    Pcb, born and raised. I wouldn't think it's a fuel issue, if the front sparkplug fouls out (wet).unless your tank vent isn't venting(doubtful) . I had a 650 w/ stator issues that would run fine until put under load wot and would heat up and cause weak spark and run like crap and eventually barely run at all...until it cooled down then it would run fine

okay...

tonight I swapped CDI's
    rebuilt the carb
    ensured waterbox was not clogged.

Still does it.

She idles PERFECT. once you crack the throttle and the RPMs come up...BAM...hits a psuedo limiter.

So I'm not even going to fuck with it. I have a PERFECT running VXR Pro 701 that has had zero interest. Motor so clean you could eat off of it. I'm going to pull that motor and give it to the blaster to finish the season. Over the winter I'll keep digging and hopefully get it going.

Currently I just wanna ride.

I'm from Panama City but live in South GA.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime89 View Post
    Not wanting to thread jack here but are you two from the destin/panama city area? Moveing there in march looking for a few ride buddies.
    I live in KY, i was on vacation... i ride there at least once a year though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information