Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

East Texas NanoXcell repair attempt

Let's first dispense with the formalities....this thing looks like hell! I get it. I'm not delusional LOL. It will look fine when it is done for the price I paid for it but it is not for anyone with a weak stomach....you might puke by looking at the work done

I bought this 09 FXS from a guy in Florida who delivered it to me cheap. He played chicken with a sturgeon on a river in FL and lost. Ski found a tree on the bank by the time he broke the surface of the water again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thisone.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	340385

Compression was 140 across all 4 cylinders (thanks for the input on that guys!) and the inner hull has zero water penetration prior to the East/TX repair...but I need to put 5 to 10 hours of confidence on it before the conversion this fall. This one is going into my 04 SUV.

Anyway, I tried reading through thread after thread looking for info on how to repair major nanoEgg damage. This one had a smash in the lower hull section up by the nose that I could literally stuff 3 fingers into. It had crushed an area in the size of a half a football. The owner was able to ride the ski back from the accident because it is high damage on the underside. once on plane, the hole and cracks would be out of the water and the spray anyway as long as he didn't take a hard left turn. I didn't have the same confidence and wanted to at least do a $35 repair before I try to test this thing out.

Obviously by my booger-job, I have zero experience with repairing hulls, fiberglass, nanao-BS or any of this stuff but for what I need...even this idiot can do it.

East Texas Nanoxcell repair

So here is what I'm doing. This thread is for your HEAD SHAKING ENJOYMENT ONLY!

Step 1: Cut away The cracked parts of the outer skin. NOTE: This stuff is BS! Thin as hell and you can cut through the entire upper shell with a box cutter. Ridiculous. The inner fibers have fiberglass in them for sure because I was itchy as hell when I finished LOL. Anyway, I pulled a bunch of the crap out, cut some relief gaps in the material so that the hull could be pried out again out of its crushed state. I was able to fig a chisel in-between the outer skin and the spray foam inside the hull shell and pry those 2 apart. That gave relief to the "dent" and allowed it to pop out to where it belonged again...closing the 3 finger gap up. There was still a pretty dang good hole in it and a bunch of thrashed surface to deal with.

Name:	20140901_142413.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	340386

Step 2: Drilled a bunch of holes into the crushed areas the same size as the tube on some "Great Stuff" spray foam. I am pretty sure this is NOT closed cell foam but it will remain dry when this project is done so that doesn't matter. I just wanted it behind there as a new back support between the old crushed foam and the previously crushed nanoshell. It worked like a champ and really firmed up the outer surface well. NOTE: I used the window and door version of the greatstuff. It is a minimal expanding foam and dries semi rigid.

Name:	20140901_145106.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	340387

Step 3: I took a 2 part Epoxy (Loctite marine) and an old toothbrush and brushed all of the exposed fiber sections and all of the exposed sprayfoam sections with it to create a stiff bondable inner repair surface.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	340388
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140830_054158.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	340384  
    Last edited by macGruber; 09-09-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Next I took Marine JB weld putty sticks and put a thick layer...well...everywhere where I saw a booboo. I used it to thicken the areas where the skin was removed, packed it in to the smaller cracks and anywhere where fibers were exposed. Also used it to bulken up the lower section where the hole was.

One productive note from this thread might be the fact that you can apply Acetone to JB weld stick form or to the paste form to thin it out which makes it a crapload easier to spread out and feather at the edges. Anyway, I think it is thick enough to exceed the original shape of the hull where the damage was. Now I'll let it cure over the next 15 hours and hit it tomorrow with some 80 grit to knock the thing back down to shape.

Surprisingly, I do actually believe that this will work. 80% or more of the above water repair area could easily be covered by the stock bumper skins. The area by the "F" for the Florida numbers is a small apple sized blemish that I will put a bit of extra work into to make it look pertty. After I'm done grinding my garbage away I'll probably hit it with some primer and some gloss black before putting it on the water Saturday.

I'll post the final results just so you can get a chuckle out of my $35 East TX repair job

Wait a second, you used JB weld to repair your nano hull?? I guess I have seen everything now..

For the smoking deal you got on it in the first place, I don't understand why you didn't step up and use proper materials. Its well under a hundred bucks too......i cant even begin to explain how bad of an idea this is to use untested junk materials on a new hull like this. When it fails, its not going to be pretty...the water line and below takes more abuse then people seem to realize.

When/if you are ready to take the repair seriously, 407 micro fairing filler and 2 part LEGIT epoxy(west marine will work fine) do not use the same stuff you can buy at Kmart.. You need lots of cleaning with prep-sol before applying the material

4. +1 by:

This ski will not be taken faster than 55mph either.

"Wait a second, you used JB weld to repair your nano hull?? I guess I have seen everything now.."

Trust me Tony...you haven't. The first remodel was going to be gorilla tape.

"For the smoking deal you got on it in the first place, I don't understand why you didn't step up and use proper materials"

As I mentioned in the post...I don't give 2 Sh*ts about this hull after the first 5 hours of riding it. It is getting scrapped as far as I'm concerned after I test the condition of the motor and SC. The guts are going into my SUV.

"I cant even begin to explain how bad of an idea this is to use untested junk materials on a new hull like this. When it fails, its not going to be pretty...the water line and below takes more abuse then people seem to realize."

While I understand your distain for not wanting to see a hull dun-darn-wrong like this, it is not that big of a deal man. As far as the Untested coment goes...it is marine epoxy. It will be fine for 5 hours of riding. I don't have time to try and figure out how to do a 10 out of 10 Nano repair just so this thing looks pretty. The next owner of the hull can decide what they want to do with it. As far as cost goes...why spend $100 when I can spend $35 to get my same results quicker? Again...I think we just have 2 different objectives in mind for my hull.

"When/if you are ready to take the repair seriously, 407 micro fairing filler and 2 part LEGIT epoxy(west marine will work fine) do not use the same stuff you can buy at Kmart.. You need lots of cleaning with prep-sol before applying the material"

As always Tony, thank you for your help. You carry a lot of experience to the forum and have helped me on projects in the past.

I'm not recommending this repair to anyone else. I figured the title would speak for itself on that. Although I seriously doubt this repair will fail in my ownership time I will certainly report if it does. However, I took time to look up different pics that would resemble what I am going to be doing on it and there is no meaningful water or spray that even touches this part of the hull. When the ski is sitting there floating, yes...the repair is in the water. As you quickly get to plane that wound is plenty far from spray and hard water contact. It will be fine in this situation considering the intent.

Name:	FZS3.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	340476

Name:	fzs2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	340477

Im sorry if i seemed a bit harsh, I really don't mean to harp on you, you're a grown man, my apologies. For what its worth, I would have said every single thing to you in person, but you would have probably picked up on my sarcasm and genuine concern for the machine. I get that you don't really care, haha, that was evident about 3 paragraphs in ...But there are people on Internets that are going to type in 'nano excel hull repairs'..and eventually will come this thread......They will think two things....that either this repair is okay and that kwtony is an asshole, or they will think this is c-c-crazy and still think that kwtony is still an asshole... Even tho the idea of using JB weld is straight up ludicrous, some people don't know what they don't know...

Despite that you never say you only want to use it for a few hours, just a tiny bit of care now, could have netted a bunch more money on that empty hull. You could have made it pretty and sell the hull. But shit, if you don't even care about it, ill offer take it off your hands. Hell, i know someone that would have bought it from you broken for close to what you paid for it...now...who knows what it worth.

But i do know one thing....your project is going to BAD ASS, I'm insanely jealous. I still want to make myself an SUVSHO guide ski. Please take lots of photo, and prepare to get your camera greasy

+1
    See, MacGruber, you should have used that Gorilla Tape like I told you. LOL!

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 611
Size:  10.0 KB

Not even kidding, ive used tape once to patch a whole long enough to get it the ski to the boat ramp....it was on the ski i got T-boned in . After we got it running again, it needed a shit ton of FG work...I used a whole roll of tape and managed to get the ski driven to the boat ramp about 1/4 mile away from the rental.....yeah...i was dumb ass....but it worked and the ski didn't sink...

I forgive you KW. I'm still not kissing to make up though

Well shit! I tried editing the original post with the following so I'll just have to put it here.

IMPORTANT FIRST NOTE TO ANYONE READING THIS!!!! THIS IS NOT A "HOW TO" post on repairing Nanoxcell! It is a cheap ass hillbilly in East Texas closing up a hole in a FXS that I bought on the cheap to use the motor and other parts in a different project this Winter.

I DO NOT recommend this to anyone...just positing it for laughs, head shakes and to make you generally feel sorry for me. Two things will be quite apparent when you finish reading this thread (maybe more).

1. Po' folks got po' ways
    2. Something is wrong in my head
    3. This aint' my day job

The ski will NEVER be sold like this when I'm done. The hull will be given away or sold to someone who needs a mockup hull.

Boudin...I have the big roll of gorilla tape sitting in the footwell right now. Gonna plasti-dip it instead. That stuff is tough as nails! LOL.

Yup...I bought an FX/HO last year that some DS installed speakers in the footwell right above the toe. They corroded through of course leaving a 4" hole in each side. I wanted to put it in the water to see if it was worth the $3k I paid for it (2007 on a galvanized trailer). It was worth it. I cleaned the area with acetone, layed gorilla tape in layers like residential home shingles and sprayed the entire area with plasti-dip to seal the edges LOL. Worked like a champ. Put a couple hours on it and sold it with new marine speakers in the footwell (Yeeks)...but they liked it just fine.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information