+1

2000 slx 1200 rectifier?

Alright let me give the background on this ski....

I bought it this spring. I replaced all fuel lines and rebuilt the carbs. Replaced prop and wear ring and stator. Put all new pump bearings in. When cleaning the inside of the hull I noticed that the two black ground wires for the bildge pump were clipped. Put it back together and the bildge runs all time weather the button is pushed or the ski is on or not. Was told by the experts on here the LR module has failed. Ski was having no other issues so I've been ignoring it this summer.

Ski has ran great for about 20-25 hours now. Not one issue. This past weekend I hopped on the ski and she was dead. It had been sitting for two weeks but I still thought it was weird its a very new battery. Charged the battery and away we went. Noticed when it was running the voltage would go from 12.4 up to 12.6 and back down again back and forth per the mfd. Thought okay cool it is charging.

Well I stopped and talked to a buddy on his slx and he said his voltage was up in the 15 range when he was running.

I kept riding then a little while later she started to run like crap. Not like a fuel issue though like a week spark, or fouling out issue. Went to shore checked compression expecting the worst. Still in mid 120s on all three cylinders.

Then this came to mind. On all my 2 stroke seadoos I've had they have a rectifier. They are a very very common part to go bad. When they go bad they can cause your ski to run like crap half the time and be perfectly fine other times. Its really easy to mistake it for a fuel issue.

Well we were loading my ski up later and I had my buddy ride it. I told him to lay into it and see what happened. Sure enough it ran like a dream for him. Claimed he liked it better than his pro 12 so I promptly offered him a straight up trade, which he of course refuesed. But were getting off track.

My question is do these skis have a rectifier or something similiar? Or is my LR module possible my cause of these issues? Or is it something completely different? Thanks again guys.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The voltage display on the MFD can be inaccurate. Check the charging voltage with a multimeter at the battery.

With engine running the voltage should be 13.5 volts to 14.5 volts. Anything under 13 volts is not charging the battery.

+1
    Okay I will do that today.

+1
    Okay So ill be completely honest. I have a tester that I got at harbor freight for free a few months ago.... But I've never had to use it and I honestly don't know what to set it to, to measure voltage. Ill have to read up on it and try again tomorrow.

if it is a digital meter , set it to 20V dc scale. most meters it wont even matter if you reverse the polarity of the leads, if you do it will read -13V

+1
    okay thanks mike. My other question is there are three holes for the leads im not sure which to plug it into lol.

+1
    One is for the common or black lead, one is for measuring voltage and will have a V somewhere near it, the other is for measuring Amperage, with an A near it. If you accidentally connect to the Amperage lead to measure voltage, there will be a big spark as this is a dead short condition, so be sure. Post a pic if you are unsure.

If it is the Cen Tech seen here or similar:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (1).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	340560

The top connection, marked 10ADC is for measuring amperage, while the middle connection marked V(ohm sign)mA is for measuring voltage. Connect the red lead here, and the black lead to COM and point the dot on the dial to DVC 20 in the upper left side of the meter.

Thread Information