Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile GP1200R or GP1300R ?

hello all
    I am new here and am planning on buying either a gp1200r or a gp1300r so the feedback im looking for is which one should I buy a carbureted engine (1200) or the fuel injected 1300
    im planning on Some mods nothing too much like compression but cat removal whatever so give me some feed back
    thanks mike

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    EFI requires less maintenance

yes I see how there would be less maintance also would it be less likely to burn a piston with the efi

the carb models are easier to mod if that's what you want. i agree that efi models are more reliable, and if reliability is the most important thing for you get the 2005+ GP1300R since it has no power valves. ( power valves are good for midrange but have their relability issues

that's good to know so the 2005 up does not have the power valve ...in fact im looking at a 2005 which has been sitting for about a year is there anything I should be looking for there ??

how many hours ? does it still have the cat converter and did the previous owner use Yamaha oil if it still has the cat. water test it . should go about 60-65 mph. if not cat may need replacing with d plate. i was told that the cats fail at 100 hours but i have 130 on mine ( bought with 93 hours ) .

+1
    First welcome to the Hulk. About the ski, Check compression. Also find out if it has had the cat removed & D-plate installed. Do not worry about the oil injection systems ... they have been good on all models after 2004. Take it for a water ride test if possible. They are unique to ride ... remember, it is a Yamaha and therefore very sturdy & reliable ski. If you have not ridden one they tend to Chin-walk @ 23 to 29 mph on the speedo. We call that the "Happy Dance", No worries. If it looks clean & seems to sound right .... meaning no pings or knocks .... it will most likely be a good buy. The going price now for a good clean/running 2005 GP1300 R, is around $3K to $4K. Good luck & keep us posted

well it looks like im going to look at a blown up 2000 gpr that lost a cylinder this weekend and the 2005 is out ..was to much money anyway will keep u posted ..and will plenty of questions

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    First welcome to the Hulk. About the ski, Check compression. Also find out if it has had the cat removed & D-plate installed. Do not worry about the oil injection systems ... they have been good on all models after 2004. Take it for a water ride test if possible. They are unique to ride ... remember, it is a Yamaha and therefore very sturdy & reliable ski. If you have not ridden one they tend to Chin-walk @ 23 to 29 mph on the speedo. We call that the "Happy Dance", No worries. If it looks clean & seems to sound right .... meaning no pings or knocks .... it will most likely be a good buy. The going price now for a good clean/running 2005 GP1300 R, is around $3K to $4K. Good luck & keep us posted
    +1. good advice.

The 2005-2008 are mechanically identical. The last generation with the latest technology.
    -they might cost a little more but definitely worth it.
    Fuel injected non-powervalve engine. (the PTO piston should run ~5psi less compression)
    Large hub jet pump. (with dynafly prop a great pump)
    One-piece ride plate inserts. (The most important difference IMO)

You can make this ski run 68mph without lifting the seat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bikermikeyblack View Post
    the 2005 is out ..was to much money .
    How much was he asking? and where?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information