96 polaris SL900 hall effect test

I did a hall effect test on my SL 900 with the 9 volt battery ( neg to gray, pos to brown) and positive lead from the ohm meter to green/ red and had a spike on the meter but could not get the meter to stay on a low resistance. I have two identical machines so I checked the other machine and I can position the flywheel so it sits on a low resistance value on the meter. the machine ran fine last time out but just wanted to post and get an idea if this sounds normal or replace the stator.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You have two engines, one of which you can see the sudden change to low resistance as you turn the engine slowly. The other engine does not do this, correct?

Do both engines have the same type of stator, original or Gen III updated ignition? If they are different types then the Hall Effect test method is slightly different.

3. +1 by:

these are identical machines with the original stators. each machine has less than 150 hrs.

I have used a few of your previous threads to diagnose, which are extremely helpful and accurate. thanks a bunch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by givner View Post
    these are identical machines with the original stators. each machine has less than 150 hrs.
    Well, if one machine's stator tests correctly and the other does not, then it is likely the stator has failed. Especially given that these are original stators.

Is the gen III upgrade kit the only option ? I heard there is a place called Jetski Solutions that does rewinds, anyfeed back on how reputable they are.

Thanks again !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by givner View Post
    Is the gen III upgrade kit the only option ?

I heard there is a place called Jetski Solutions that does rewinds, anyfeed back on how reputable they are.

Thanks again !
    I don't know if they still do Polaris stators. You can certainly call and ask them

You may be able to find a good used old style stator somewhere. Of course there is no guarantee how long it might last.

The updated stator is more reliable, it is a tougher design with less fragile coil windings.

Thread Information