Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2002 virageTx 1200 burned hole in center piston

What causes a hole to burn in the center of a piston? Has the right spark plugs in it (br 8 es ngk). Got the boat Saturday for $800.00 no fire. Check the stator oms, was good, installed 447 cdi box(thanks to BryanP' thread)ran great 2 or 3 hours Sunday. Went back to the river Monday,wot 60 mph maybe 1 mile drop dead,started right back up rode easy 30--40 miles an hour maybe 30 minutes,wot 60 mph maybe 1 mile about the same time frame drops dead. Starts right back up? Checked fuel vent,it's free,pulled gas cap,no vacuum on it. But any way the third time she drop dead,I lost the center cylinder.Mag piston black oily and damp,PTO black a little lest oily and damp, center piston gray/silvery and more dry.The piston looked like you took a cutting torch, laid it flat on the top of the piston and washed a oblong hole in the center of piston. Cylinder wall looks good. I could use some ideas,I surely don't want to do this again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Lean burn will hole a piston. Insufficient fuel delivery causes the piston to run hot.

The first time the engine stopped the piston probably over-expanded from the excess heat and hot seized in the cylinder. Second time, same reason. Third time it melted right through.

Did you disassemble, clean and rebuild the carburetors?

See my signature links for more recommended maintenance and other info.

+1
    yeah as many as I have look at your links,being a mechanic,knowing better,sounding good isn't always good. Well as a good note I only have $800. in the boat,gunna be more now! Thank I should do the crank seals too?I'll have to pull the motor.

+1
    Got my 0.05m SBT pistons bored and ready to go Man looks like no oil on cylinder 2(center cylinder) pulling oil injection lines looks like no oil in second cylinder(center cylinder) line.Question;Ever seen an oil pump not pump on one line.Even crank line looks dry on number 2 cylinder.Mag & pto cylinders look ok. Question2;Should I replace the crank seals? There is only 30 hours on the on the boat.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sandonut View Post
    ... Looks like no oil on cylinder 2 (center cylinder). pulling oil injection lines looks like no oil in second cylinder(center cylinder) line.

Question;Ever seen an oil pump not pump on one line. Even crank line looks dry on number 2 cylinder. Mag & pto cylinders look ok.

Question2;Should I replace the crank seals? There is only 30 hours on the on the boat.
    Crank seals are twelve years old now. They may still be 'ok' but they sure aren't 'new'. Many guys would just run with them. Hard to advise without doing an inspection and leak down test.

Check the oil nipple on the center cylinder. There is a check valve ball inside. It might be stick closed. Carb cleaner spray might be needed to get it flowing again. Typically this would be a good time to remove and fully rebuild the carburetors, and clean the oil feed check valves at the same time.

Banned User
    +1
    You need BR9ES plugs not 8s on a 1200.

+1
    Well i got my pistons in yesterday. I bored the cylinders my self with a hone 0.05, man that took a while.

Where the number 2 piston had burnt a hole in it, the wrist pin bearing was tight. I honed the rod out a little just so the wrist pin & bearing rotates freely as mag & PTO. PTO piston looked galled too. I think I'm going to premix. Then I can only blame my self for lack of oil. It is a hassle though.

Question;I read some where about not installing exhaust gaskets on the manifold to jugs,is this what I do,and why no gaskets???

Hey Keith I am going to replace the crank seals,you made a go point(over 10 years old).

Anyhow I got those SBT pistons installed.

Still waiting for parts for the Virage i 800 Di.

Maybe I can finish the 1200 today. I check those plugs today too BR9ES.

Banned User
    +1
    Use the exhaust gaskets.

+1
    Yes some one put 8s in the 1200.That surely didn't help. I believe there was an oil problem too,mag piston side wall pulled, center piston hole in top, PTO piston looks great.Lack of oil, wrong spark plugs heat range, lean fuel problem (carbs), 3 strikes your motor is out of there!

You know everywhere you look on GREENHULK you see (If you just bought a Polaris PWC,what should you do first). If I had of done this, maybe would have saved me about $400.00-500.00.
    Last edited by K447; 09-25-2014 at 11:21 AM.

+1
    Built the 1200, has 135 compression across all 3 cylinders on the bench.Question; how do toy get 150 compression out of the 1200? Shave the heads? Done the Carbs,looked good,check the pop-off pressure. mag 20 psi center 32psi pto 21 psi. Corrected center to 20 psi. Question; could 32 psi on center cause lean and burn hole in piston? Don't see why at WOT,drops dead after about a mile as lack of fuel. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information